1G Translator & 3" GM MAF installed: Pics & FAQ

pics? 8)

if you dont run a low 13 im going to put my foot in your...

i'd be honored if you would drive my car for me then :lol:

seriously, i'm not a great driver on the strip. on the street i launch much better. i'm extremely confident that it'll run a 13.5 or better with the right tires and driver. my problem is i only drive mine about once or twice a month, so i can't really get used to it.

when MPI gets finished, i'll definitely go to the track :twisted:

i'm hoping to have my MPI done before Jimmy's meet he always has in October.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont know if i would drive it (im nervous about driving others cars) ive know scotty for year and just drove his galant for the first time last weekend ( i was nervous as heck)

We will get a pic of our cars runnign together on the track at the VA spring meet that youll be attending.

;)

Monty

Thats a good question. The MAFT outputs to both the intake air temp sensor and the airflow portion. I believe it holds the air temp portion constant. So it may work IF you were to install a constant resistor in place of the intake air temp sensor. Or possible you could wire the MAFTs output directly to the intake air temp sensor in the OVCP.

Anyone done this!???

Does anyone know where the settings are for a stock application with a MAF-T?

Thanks

Its a hit and miss deal. Every cars set up is differant. If you dont have a Wideband O-2, Youll never be able to get the correct settings. Read the instructions. That will give you a starting point. If you run 14.0 at idle, 14.0 at midrange and 12.0 at WOT, Your good to go.

CALIBER 308

• 3 weeks later...

Noobie Question here - so I just need to get a 1g pig tail amd wire it in place of my conector their now for the connection to the MAF then its a perfect plug and play after that right?

Also would this setup work to tune if I nee more fuel and started running dual secondary injuectors this way limiting the fuel dumped at idle but letting me have room to dump more?

Noobie Question here - so I just need to get a 1g pig tail amd wire it in place of my conector their now for the connection to the MAF then its a perfect plug and play after that right?

Also would this setup work to tune if I nee more fuel and started running dual secondary injuectors this way limiting the fuel dumped at idle but letting me have room to dump more?

Its not as simple as that. You will need new hose couplers, Air filter, Wideband 0-2 with a gauge read out (so you can adjust your Translator properly) and a good place to bolt your MAF-T Translator to. Keep it away from heat sources. Then theres adjustments to the Translator. Sure you can run two secondaries. You will just have to do more adjusting to the Translator. Make sure you dont have any problems with your set up now, before installing this system. If you do, you will never get the adjustments to read correctly.

Good Luck,

CALIBER 308

listen to cal. it would be much better if you tuned the translator with the wideband o2 because you really have no idea what a/f numbers you're dealing with until you get the wideband.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the update, I probably should of considered Pro2, though I didn't want to tackle the install, as well as trust any mech with the car if I couldn't atleast help or assist.

I did purchase 2 new trilogy (delphi) injectors, sent my TB to lower shores performance for a rebuild & tb rebuild kit update. So I'm going to see how that works. Also sent my stock 89 inj. to the service on ebay "clean injection", just to have as a back up or I may sell them if I like Trilogy's injectors.

Have a cosmo high flow air filter adaptor kit, it has a 3' opening so I thought I would go with the GM-MAS 3 and MAFT setup. Later to tune finer with a SAFC or NEO.

• 9 months later...

I installed mine this weekend, install was simple.

The hardest part was actually trimming the stock connector housing to fit, but no harder than trimming the 1G mas connector. I used a 3.5" GM MAS on mine. I've got a 3.5" Fujita filter into the MAS, and then a 3.5 to 3" Lingenfelter flex hose, into a 3"- 2.25" Silicone coupler on the front of my 20G/T3. I will try to get around to taking some pics.

This mod is a no-brainer, absolutely no sense in messing with a 1G MAS when this is out there. You can also get a higher performance GM MAS from summit racing.

I also picked up a NGK AF-X wideband a/f monitor, huge digital readout, cheap price, includes everything, simple install.

why does everyone seem to be setting this up as a pull through?

I think a great big chunk of the advantages to this is that it makes a nice blow through.. I' m hopefully geetting mine together next week..

will be running as a blow through..

speaking of which...

I need one of those foam filters that looks like a mario mushroom for the turbo inlet (bad description i know but I'm sure tyou know what I mean)

any body got a good supplier?

That's an HKS style filter, and from hks they are like 150 or 200 bucks or something just rediculous.

And, if they made a 2.5" maf, maybe that would be better for the stock setup, since the TB inlet is only 2" or less anyway.

Draw through is fine, and as long as there aren't any leaks, its just as good, if not better.

And, if they made a 2.5" maf, maybe that would be better for the stock setup, since the TB inlet is only 2" or less anyway.

Might as well leave the stock MAF on if your only looking for a 2 1/2" Inlet. The reason in going to a 3" MAF is for more airflow and in addition to that, running the 1ST GEN MAF- TRANSLATOR for fuel adjustments :wink: :wink: A lot of throttle body users are always complaining about running rich. The 3" GM MAF coupled with the 1ST GEN MAF-TRANSLATOR is the solution. Even on a stock set up, You can adjust the fuel at Idle,Midrange and Wide open throttle :wink: :wink: And that speaks volumes!!!!!

CALIBER 308