1G Translator & 3" GM MAF installed: Pics & FAQ

in the FAQ you can find what you need.

but it is a direct plug in just remove the 7th odd pin and line up the locking tabs and plug it in.

i removed the housing around the 1st gen mas that surrounds the pins completly. i just used a marker to note the side with the locking tab is on, and slipped the cars harness connector on the 1st gen mas. thats it.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

let me add to this. i got another 2mph higher in my trap speed in the 1/4 with JUST this mod. it doesn't sound like much, but it took me from 100mph to 102mph and that's pretty solid if you ask me. especially since it was over 100 degrees on that 102mph run. now if i could just learn to drive better :-k

does anyone know where i can find the wiring diagram for a stock mas air to a 1G mas air? i just got one of these translaters and a 3 inch gm mas air unit, but i still have the stock air can and mas air on my quest. need some direction on how to wire it up. :-k

Starquest FAQ Section. On this site. You will need a 1G Turbo MAS plug.

CALIBER 308

• 3 weeks later...

i'm really "inspired" by your maf-t success stories, i just ordered one yesterday and picked up an air filter and chevy impala ss mas. i'm now excited for it to arrive and be able to install and tune it.

do we just block-off the two tubes on the stock mitsu rubber hose leading to the stock mas/filter?

if anyone has pics of a completed set-up, please post.

thanks!

jing

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So I can install this AFTER the intercooler/BOV and before the TB? If so I am buying this immediately.

Also, can I use one of these after market MAF sensors which flow even more?

http://www.granatellimotorsports.com/gmmafautomotive.htm

or

http://www.autoanything.com/generic_pages/...51&g_id=568

Thanks,

Jason

So I can install this AFTER the intercooler/BOV and before the TB? If so I am buying this immediately.

Also, can I use one of these after market MAF sensors which flow even more?

http://www.granatellimotorsports.com/gmmafautomotive.htm

Thanks,

Jason

Sure, If you come up with a way to splice it into the OVC Pipe without it hitting the hood and clearing the valve cover.

CALIBER 308

I actually would like to splice it into the upper intercooler pipe.

Heres my take on this: If you purchase 2 hose reducers from www.hosetechiques.com (2 1/4 to 3 inch) and mount them right at the throttle body with the GM MAF inbetween, and modify the lenght of your OVC Hardpipe, your good to go.That way the BOV is before the metered airflow to the MAF.

CALIBER 308

sounds like a great idea.. has anyone thought about how well the filament in the gm mass will respond to being beat up by very high air velocity and pressures.

Monty

Theres one way to find out. Ill be the guinea pig for this one. Just give me a couple of weeks to get the reducers. Right now my GM MAF system set up at the turbo inlet runs good intil crusing speed (10 to 12 hg vacuum) then it wants to run rich. And of course at blow off from the BOV, 10 afr reading on the AEM UEGO, intil I accelerate or decelerate.

CALIBER 308

cool, i still think its a great idea

just wanted to pass on my concerns

I did some measuring at the throttle body to try and figure this out. The reducers might have to be cut down because of their 3 inch lenght. But other than that, it should work. We only need a 1/2 inch to connect the hose clamps or T- bolts to, so weve got some room to play with.

CALIBER 308

I actually would like to splice it into the upper intercooler pipe.

Heres my take on this: If you purchase 2 hose reducers from www.hosetechiques.com (2 1/4 to 3 inch) and mount them right at the throttle body with the GM MAF inbetween, and modify the lenght of your OVC Hardpipe, your good to go.That way the BOV is before the metered airflow to the MAF.

CALIBER 308

Don't make it any harder than it has to be.

I currently have my BOV mounted in the upper intercooler pipe just after the first bend and there is still a good 12 inches of straight pipe remaining that the GM MAF could be mounted in (w/ hose reducers like you said). This way there are no hood clearance issues or mods needed on the OVCP. It would also make wiring a bit easier and be much more stealth.

Just food for thought.

Let me know if I am overlooking any issue here.

Thanks,

Jason

Sooo Jason, If you already knew the answer to your question( See post above ) Why did you ask it in the first place :wink: :wink: :wink:P.S. Most of us running a BOV dont have it installed in a unconventional location like you do.

CALIBER 308

LOL! Well, you see, I knew it would fit where I wanted it, but was unsure if it could be installed this close to the TB and still function properly. :wink:

Not to toot my own horn, but installing the BOV in the UICP has worked out great for me. I would highly recommend it. The hardest part about it is dropping the intercooler. Then it's just a matter of cutting a section of the upper pipe and fitting the BOV in w/ 2 silicone couplers.

Its done :D :D The 3" GM MAF works as a blow through mounted with two hose techiques, 2 1/4 x 3" hose adapters, just before the Throttle body. You will have to modify the OVC Hardpipe. As a matter of fact, I had to readjust my MAF Translator cause with it hooked up to the turbo it ran too rich. Now with the MAF -T readjusted, it runs at stochic, just where it should be at.

CALIBER 308

pics? 8)

NO PICS :wink: :wink: :wink: Youll just have to do your own modifying as I did, with no help from anyone here :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: Its something I thought would work, it did. And im happy with the results. So BOO HOO!!! to the nay sayers. Ive asked for help more than once on the club. With no response :wink: :wink: :wink: So your all on your own on this one.

CALIBER 308

For you guys running a MAF-T and GM MAF with a BOV, this is the way to go. The hardest part in the installation is cutting the OVC Hardpipe, or you could try to find a hose supplier that will custom make a 2 1/4 X 3 X 3" 45 Degree angle reducer. GOOD LUCK!!!! I was at it for 8 hours last night trying to find one. Appox: $60.00 to $70.00 :roll: :roll: My car with this set up spools a lot faster to 6000 rpms, with no negative effects. And I thought I was making power with the MAF mounted before the turbo :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

CALIBER 308