seperati the cars for sale/wanted from parts for sale/wanted

artinist

it will be really helpful to try to find things if the cars and parts in the the for sale/watned section would be seperated to have their own heading. any chance this could happen?

I'll secondthird (Boosted_One snuck in his reply while I was typing mine) the motion.  Wasn't this suggestion brought up many months ago - it seems familiar.

One other thing I'd like to see, especially if you're going through the trouble to create a new forum: add mandatory fields to the "Subject:" box to force the seller to list the location.  I.e. something like:

Subject: _________________________  Location: ____

Message icon:    ____________

...etc...

Then, when the post is listed the Location would either be its own column (if that's easy to do in the code) or just appended to the "Subject" text.  We keep asking people to put their location in the title block and the message text but still quite a few forget this little detail... can we make it mandatory in the "car for sale" forum?

mike c.

good idea. i think i remember bringing this up with Gabe at a meet and he said he thought it was  good idea too. maybe it just got forgotten so i wanted to throw a reminder.

I like this idea as well. We'd definitely need to have a guideline for posting though. Just to require some essential information, as mikec described. My ideas for required info would be:

Year/Make/Model

[*]Color (Ext/Int)

[*]Mileage (if rebuilt, milegage on rebuild)

[*]Location of seller

[*]Asking price (or if looking for highest offer, indicate as such)

[*]Method of contact (email, phone, etc)

[*]Pictures? (emailed/link/right in the post/etc)

[*]Description (including any mods/damage/etc)

This would end the constant replies of "where are you?" "what mods?" and the like... which to me shouldn't ever have to be asked in the first place. If a seller just stopped to think, "What info would I need to see before I'd consider buying a car?" before they posted, we'd all be better off.

The only problem with making mandatory fields is that this system doesn't have any way to distinguish from one forum to the next for the addition of extra info like that.

We would probably need to put a sticky note up with the guidelines and delete posts that don't fit the guidelines after a warning is sent to the author to "fix it or lose it" within some time frame.

And no whining about deleted posts! The rules would be very clear. Follow them or else! Whiners will be deleted! Come to think of it, that should be applied site wide anyways :)

ryddler... That's more of what I had in mind, knowing how much tweaking of the code would be necessary to make additional fields.

I agree with artinst... manual/auto tranny should also be a mandatory piece of info when listing. I totally forgot about it.

We can treat it similar to how we manage the feedback forum, so it remains clean and to the point.

And no whining about deleted posts! The rules would be very clear. Follow them or else! Whiners will be deleted! Come to think of it, that should be applied site wide anyways :)

Yup yup yup!

You all heard it, the Great OZ has spoken!!  :o

Now I wonder where the person who doesn't like what Ryddler just said is going to send the complaint to? Ryddlers wife?? Will Ryddler get a supena for Judge Judy??

LOL!  ;D

• 3 weeks later...
anything new about this yet?

I'm working on code to purge the existing forum of any messages over two weeks before a new one is created. Currently every message has to be deleted by hand!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...