in dash volt meter dips when signaling??!!

MANGO

• 2 weeks later...
My  86 dont do the up/down on the voltmeter because it uses a diferent gauge setup, but it does stops blinking at idle, an it charges -/+ 12.3v at idle with head lights, fog lights and radio on, mi guess is that the alt is too damn weak for all the amps draining the batery, because I replaced my (+) cable from the alt (8gauge), and I  grounded all the car (about five 8gauge) all aroud the engine compartment, and still have the same problem; even my radio makes a humming sound when it reaches 12.1v at idling! >:(  :(  

• 2 weeks later...
CHANGE YOUR ALTERNATOR BELT PREFERABLY FROM DEALESHIP.... COOL? THEN CLEAN OUT YOU ELECTRICAL CONNECTIONS ON UR BATTERY... IT MIGHT NOT SOLVE IT .. BUT UR NEIGHBORS WILL RESPECT YOUR LOYALTY/ ;D ;D ;D SINCE I FIGURED YOU'VE ALREADY CHEKED THE ALTERNATOR AN STUFF///

• 3 months later...

Ok, forget about the volt meter dipping during signaling, it seems it now dips a good tick mark lower when I'm at idle.

When the car's rolling and the engine revving, the meter reads at the tick mark before the highest (fully charged) tick mark.  You know how there are two marks in between the half mark and the fully charged mark?  Well, during driving, the needle is at that mark before fully charged.

When I'm idling, the needle would dip down to the mark that's right after 1/2 on the meter.  Any cure to this?  Is this a loose alternator belt that's causing this?

Thanks

MANGO

Reposted from...

http://www.starquestclub.com/index.pl?boar...;num=1068917617

mikec

Cypress California

Re: Flashing volts meter with blinker...diode??

« Reply #1 on: 11/16/03 at 00:22:30 »

The real problem is the LONG wires from the IGN fusible link to the ignition key center post.  The ON position then runs to the fusebox and back to the engine bay.  It feeds the engine fans, dash voltmeter, turn signals, rear defroster, and lots of other stuff.  And it also feeds the alternator's field coils.  The wire from the IGN link to the key degrades with time and gets too much resistance.  Thus the voltmeter drops when the fans run (high load), turn signals (high load), or rear defroster is on.  

A few things can be done to minimize the effects:

1.  Add a few relays that get switched ON by the key.  These relays then in turn feed power to the fans and turn signals.  This gets the high loads off the bad wire.

2.  the real fix: replace the beefy wire from the IGN link output post to the ignition key center position.  To see what effect this would have on your car, do this simple test:

pop the cover off the bottom of the steering column so you can get to the ign switch.  With the key out, use a voltmeter to ID the power feed wire to the ignition key center position.  If I remember correctly it's a pretty beefy black wire.  Look for battery voltage while the key is out.  Run a jumper wire from the IGN fusible link output side (output pins are the row closer to engine) to this point.  Start and drive normally, watching your voltmeter.  Hit the turn signals.  Just sitting in my driveway with the engine idling I chopped the turn signal "dance" to about a quarter of what it used to be this way.  I'd bet running another wire from the ignition key ON output post to the fusebox input post would help a bit more; running wires from the fuse box output posts to the alternator and to the fans (actually to the switch contacts of the fan relays) would cure the rest.

Another test you can try in the driveway: with the engine running, turn on the turn signals.  Watch the dash voltmeter and see the high & low voltage readings.  Now take a voltmeter and hook it to the battery.  Bet you'll see very little change in readings; most of the time the battery voltage will be the same as the dash voltmeter's high reading.  The dash voltmeter low reading typically doesn't reflect the actual voltage at the battery.

I wonder where he'd suggest putting the diode.  "Inline" with what?  All a diode does is block the flow of electricity in one direction.  Power going to the voltmeter always flows in one direction so adding a diode there wouldn't help.  A side effect of a diode is a small voltage drop (approx 0.2 volts for germanium diodes - nobody uses these anymore, approx 0.6 to 0.7 volts for silicon diodes) across the diode.  You could put a diode inline with the alternator's voltage sense wire which would effectively raise the alternator output voltage 0.7 volts.  But the dancing would still be present on the voltmeter... it'd just dance 0.7 volts further up the scale.  

mike c.