turbo timer with alarm

ekstatixx

• 7 months later...

Man, I can't believe no-one knows how to do this.

I've got a turbo timer in my 88 as well and I want to make it work with the stock alarm.

I called HKS asking about this, but they can't help due to it being a vehicle specific issue or something like that, told me to call TEP. ???

Call TEP, guy tells me it would be easy for anyone reading a wiring diagram to figure out, but is to much of a greedy, pompous, jerk to actually tell me what that is. >:(

i have the stock alarm, and a black widow alarm also on my car. i talked to someone a while back, and he said it was possible, but i didnt ask how, and now i dont know how to get a hold of him

if anyone has an idea, i would like to know

thanks

• 4 weeks later...
The wiring harness for the greddy turbo timer should plug right into the starquests.  I looked at the HKS sight, and they do sell a harness for our cars.  The part number is the same as for the the 1st gen Eclipse.  They also have a harness for the 1st gen Eclipse with the factory alarm.  I spoke with another member, and he has an HKS harness and a Greddy Turbo Timer, and everything works except the factory alarm.  I will most likely buy the harness for the Eclipse w/factory alarm and a Greddy full auto turbo timer, so at least in this application, I'll be able to let you guys know if it works.  Probably in a week or so, after finals.

Interesting.

I bought the basic harness for my HKS turbo timer install too.

Everything plugs in nice.

The only things I had to splice in where the e-brake wire and the speed sensor wire.

The stock alarm works, but you have to wait for the turbo timer to finish counting down before it will arm.

Kinda' defeats the purpose of the turbo timer when you want to go home, park your car, and run straight into bed. :P

There is evidentally a way to either change or modify the wiring somewhere that will allow the stock alarm to arm while the turbo timer is counting down. ???

I called Greddy and spoke with a tech.  He told me that I could wire in a relay or a resistor, I believe he said a resistor, and the alarm would arm after the turbo timer shut off.  I also spoke with an installer at Circuit City and he said he used 4 relays wired in different places to give a Viper auto start alarm a 90 second run-on after you armed pressed button four.  You can then take out the key and arm the alarm.  I personally want to make the stock setup work with a genuine turbo timer.

Sarc, can you at least lock the doors and walk away while the TT is doing it's thing?

Yes, I can lock the doors just fine.

It's just the stock alarm that wont arm if the T.T. is counting down.

It must have something to do with the alarm itself still seeing current in one of the ignition wires, and it thinks the key is still in the ignition.

If I lock and close the door, I don't believe the alarm will arm.

If I get out, and lock the door with only a few seconds left on the T.T., and let the timer finish before closing the door, the alarm light in the gauge cluster will come on.

But again, this defeats the purpose of a turbo timer.

So based on this theory, which I should test someday to be certain, the alarm will only arm, if the current is clear from the ignition wires, the door is open, and the doors have been locked.

I don't believe you could arm the alarm if the doors are closed. ???

Side note:

Something I've been wondering about our stock alarm system.

Since using the key on the door to get into our cars will disarm the stock alarm.

Would using a slim-jim on our cars defeat the alarm, or is there a special switch in the key cylinder itself that only gets triped with the key. (Not likely. ::) )

I only ask becuase auto theft in my city is up 80% from last year. :o

In-fact, my neighbors Cadi from down the street was stole out of the GARAGE at 6:00 this morning. :o >:(

Odd thing was, they drove it down the street and left it there. ???

We're now 30th in the nation. :(

I'm scared for my car. :'(

• 1 month later...
I finally got my Greddy TT and the harness for the elcipse w/alarm.  Everything wired up nice and works fine.  Now I have to figure out where to hook these two extra wires on the TT harness.  Since the box with the harness was written in Japanes, and I don't read Japanese so well, I'll have to do some experimenting to figure out which alarm wires to tap.  More to come....

• 4 weeks later...

factory alarm issue

if you can get any type of groung output from the turbo timer use that to pulse the door lock wire at shut down - this should make the car think that the door was just locked

aftermarket alarm issue

just set the alarm up for passive arming and to lock the doors when it does - this will arm the alarm 10 sec after the timer shuts down and might also arm the factory alarm so make sure the unlock output also disarms the factroy alarm