off topic stereo question

Banky

Sorry for the off topic post, but im very frustrated:

Im trying to install a cheap jensen cd player into my girlfriends sentra..But the mofo wont turn on, and I know all the wiring is correct..

1.) I didnt hook up the antenna because i need an adapter...Do antennas have a ground in them that I dont know about?

2.) Do you reccomend wiring the stereos ground to the body, or the ground wire in the harness?

Its a brand new stereo..And I feel like a dope for being baffled on the installation.

Justin

Jensens are notorious for engine noise so it would be better to run your ground wire directly to the cars steel it will give you the best ground and the lowest possibillity of engine noise. Yes, antennas are grounded in fact you might have a bad ground in the factory harness but if you can hook up the antenna then the radio might work without its chassis ground.I'm trying to figure out why your antenna does'nt fit your radio.Most sentras have a normal size plug for the antennas unless they had a premium factory system (very few of these were produced and they were only years95-97) Also I don't have much experience on the sentras newer than 97 so thats a possibillity too. what year is it? hope this info helps.

Burton

Ok..i got the stereo running..all it needed was an antenna adapter..Now I have a new problem..the damn thin wont play CD's! wt....!..Its one thing after another...Nothing ever just goes smoothly

Why wouldnt a new CD player play CDs? I pressed the tiny reset button, checked all wiring, and checked the manual for something I may be missing...

Is this unit defective, and since I dont have the reciept, do you think Jensen will replace it?

The only life I got out of the CD player is when I had it out of the dash running, I was holding the CD player at an angle and I got about 2 seconds of sound, and then is goes away again..

I can tell nothing is palying, because there is no time code, and nothing happens when you skip tracks..

It just makes that sound like its trying to read the CDs..

Any ideas?

There is no factory ground in that particular Nissan harness if the Jensen required the antenna to be plugged in before it powered up. The reason it powered up, is due to it using the antenna's shielding as a ground.

You'll want to ground that radio to a part of the metal bracket that the factory radio was screwed to.

And yes, Jensen and other $100 CD Players can have a pretty high failure rate right out of the box.