Drink holders

ColtQuest

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to use one of those skull drink holders there selling at the auto parts stores lately, not that I'm into skulls or anything... seriously... but it didn't work.

It was meant to clip onto a dash vent, but the clips were too short for our StarQuests. >:(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
if you have leather seats I used to put my drink in between the trans tunnel and the leg support on the pass seat. If you put the support all the way up and the seat all the way back it works good!

I haven't got around to it yet, but I plan on going to ford and buying an in dash drink holder for the late 80's Tauras.

A friend of mine put one of these in his Mustang and it looked and worked great.

It sits flush with the dash, you push the center and it pops out perfect fro two drinks.

Rich

hmm i like that taurus idea ... my brother has one of those holders out of his taurus .. its a single din size .. his has one drawer that comes out for a drink holder and a second thats a change holder .. it should fit in there fine ... new project  ;D

• 4 weeks later...

Simplest idea EVER!!

Take those $1 Autozone plastic cup holders that are meant to hook and hang from the side windows, and cut off the hook part so you can hold it flat against any surface.  From there you can drill a few holes through each and screw in anywhere.  

Lower side doors could work.  I have mine screwed through the carpet underneath the center console on each side.  This is a good spot so it never gets kicked, but not the most strong of mounts.  Has held for over a year so far!

-Matt

FBallb180@aol.com

www.bcsystems.ws

I think that these might work.  They use a gyro that allows the drink to swivle and move with out spilling.

Do people anywhere actually pay $129.99 for a cupholder?  It looks cool but are they for real?

Do people anywhere actually pay $129.99 for a cupholder?  It looks cool but are they for real?

The top of the line holder is for long distance racing like ocean races in power boats.  I thought that they were crazy too when the lady handed me a flyer that had $129.99 on it for a cup holder.

As far as I know they are for real.

I don't do that.  And I've only ever driven Conquests (never owned another type of car) I never even thought of it, but that may be because my console is always full of gum and breathsavers and change and yoyos (really, you should see me yo yo, lol) and junk.  

You might be right if you said "everyone else on these boards" placed their drink between the passenger seat and the transmission hump.  I'd imagine we've all pulled that one a time or two.  I'd even venture to say that more than one of us have stopped to fast and had a drink in that spot tumble onto the passenger side floor, so you're right, we need a better option.  

I've thought of modding a celica GT cup holder like someone mentioned (the ones that pop out when you push on them and mount under the stereo and hold two cups) where we have a little worthless storage area that emptys itself anytime anyone with anything but a tired old 200k quest leaves an intersection...  Never got so far as to take measurements but it looks like a similar space so it might not be so hard.  I would guess there are several usable alternatives to be found in the salvage yard if you want it bad enough.  Definitely though, the best fix will be something that looks stock and fits in an available compartment or hole if you will.  Otherwise, whether you pay $1.39 or $139 it's still just an added on cup holder that will get in the way of something like an elbow or a leg or your zipper or something vital at just the wrong time ;D.

I can't believe I can actually comment in this thread, but I can...I fixed this problem for $4 and have never had a spill.

First step: Go to Wal-Mart or wherever and by a $4 cupholder. I like the double ones.

Second step: Find a box that a bowling ball came in. If you've got a bowling pro shop in your town, they are probably swamped in boxes and will let you have one. Any piece of cardboard will do, but I've found the flaps on a bowling ball box to almost be pre-sized for the job.

Third step: Measure the distance from the rear of your center console to the leading edge of your rear seat's bottom cushion, then add about an inch. Cut a piece of cardboard the appropriate size.

Fourth step: If you look down on the cupholder from above, you'll notice it has a hole or two for screws or bolts drilled in the middle of it. Find a couple of shallow screws or bolts (preferably bolts, as they won't gouge your carpet), and attach the dual cupholder lengthwise to the cardboard.

Fifth step: Fit this on the top of your transmission tunnel behind the center console. The extra inch you measured on the cardboard will slide under the bottom of the rear seat cushion.

Basically, you have to reach kind of behind yourself to put the drink down, but you get used to it quickly and I've never had a spill.

Jess

• 3 months later...

Get ready to suck it, here is what I did and it works perfectly. Get two cupholders JUST LIKE THESE! (MUST BE THESE, THEY ARE THE BEST!) Fold up slim and out of the way. The arms that hold the cup are adjustable (width).

http://www.v-sales.com/cup_holders.htm  (First ones on the page are cheaper, second ones are nicer, just a little more expensive)

Mount them on the doors above the door handle towards the front of the car. Very strong mounting spot and in the perfect spot. Only thing I have against it is with a big taco bell cup it KINDA gets in the way of the headlight switches. No problems on the passenger side. Do it right and they look stock. Fold away and you really wouldnt notice them. Make sure to get black or maroon if you have that interior. I would take pictures but my car is broke down and in the garage and I really dont feel like it so use your imagination.

Mark