Rear Side Window Louvers Rumor...

I have it on good authority that somebody is manuvering to have these items produced again, but needs pictures/prototypes to share with the proposed manufacturer....

This seems as good a place as any to network this idea to fruition!

Here is the E-mail of the fellow who is trying to put this together:

mventmiller@nmctech.com

I'll be writint him and letting him know about what we are up to!

PLEASE, no more louvers!!!  :o

All i can think of are all those IROC's & Firechickens cruising around with louvers and the doors falling off upon opening. We don't need to knock our cars down on the class scale. Everytime I see louvers, I also also see whitetrash in the drivers seat. Sorry, to those I may have offended, but that's my opinion.

Weren't louvres originally a dealer option? My '83 had them when I bought it in 1989. They were metal and helped keep the car cool in the California sun.

They might look funny on an IROC, but not necessarily on our cars.

I have a set on my 87 tsi (the one to the left of this post).  I need to scan in a pic showing the back of the car I guess.  I only have the big window set, I'm not fond of the sides.  Here is my old 84 with the same metal factory louvers.  

In my opinion, the louvers make or break an old flatbody starion.  I never liked the looks of a flatbody without them.  Now a tsi looks good no matter what, but they still personalize the car a bit.

http://www.f150online.com/galleries/images/137-134-10835.jpg

kev

Weren't louvres originally a dealer option?

Yuppers, the metal ones were dealer optional.  The plastic ones were crappy aftermarket ones.  I actually found an old brochure when I was cleaning out my 88 TSi that shows all the dealer options for imported Chrysler cars.  The only things they showed for the Conquest was the embossed floormats, the premium stereo system, and the window louvres.  

My ole roommate bought his 83 LS with the rear louvers.  They were a dealer add-on option.  Another option was the bra to keep bug guts off of the paint.  They were metal (Aluminum? painted black).  None were available fon the side glass.  The bottom could be unlatched so they could be raised up for washing.  He offered to give his to me before he bought another car.  I passed on his offer thinking that they were way too noisy -- rattled on every bump in the road.

Hey  Ernie88TSi, ever think about posting your front parking light mod?  I think that it is a great look.  

I added the e-mail for the guy who is trying to get the side louvers produced.

Then i thought I should probably tell you all about the modification to my post. But while I'm here...

mventmiller@nmctech.com

This is the guy who's trying to get them manufactured....

Hey  Ernie88TSi, ever think about posting your front parking light mod?  I think that it is a great look

Yeah, it'll be in the mods section whenever I finish getting that written up.  But, in the mean time, here it is, in a condensed version.  

I took the socket out of the taillight in my parts car, after I actually had paid enough attention to note that the front parking light bulb is the exact same as the tail lights, 'cept for the fronts are single filiment, while the tails are dual.  

I then took apart the socket in the parking light.  It's really simple, just pulls right out.  I then slid the new socket into the holder for the front (You can't swap the entire holder, won't match between front and rear)

After that, I simply hooked up the wires.  Took the original turn signal wire and hooked it up the wire for the bright filiment, and then spliced into the parking light wire and hooked it up the the duller filiment.  Offhand I can't remember which wire is which... pretty easy to test though, lol.  Which every one REALLY blinds the hell out of you is the one for the turn signal.  hehehehehe

When I have this written up in the mods/FAQ section, I'll include pictures and such.  Until then, hope this helps.  

Oh yeah, BTW, you wanna get together pretty soon?  I'm free pretty much any Saturday afternoon.  I've got your number laying around here somewhere, I'll try giving you a call.  How's your Mother doing, BTW?  Get her moved from Marion yet?    

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
There is nothing that looks as sweet as an electric blue quest with  back and side louvers painted the same color. Id be interested in repos if the $$$ is right. Call me white trash anyday. Oh yeah btw I have louvers on my T/A and wouldnt get rid of them for anything.  8)

I've got the original aluminum ones on my 87. I didn't think I would like them, but once I got them on, I love them the more I look at it. I don't like the side ones though, it's too much. I would think they would look sweet painted to match the car.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...