Finally got my beloved Starion

WhatIsIt86

Hi everyone! I'm going to apologize in advance for the long winded introduction 😅. The year was 1996, I was 7 years old and a friend of mines dad had just got rid of his Nissan 200sx and replaced it with a Starion. He took us to get ice cream and I remember being captivated by the sound of the turbo whistling and just the way the car looked over all. As I grew with age I vowed to own one eventually. Problem is living in Canada I had never seen one on the road or for sale anywhere. Until June of 2022 when I found mine and had to have it immediately. 

My delay in joining SQC was because I severely underestimated how different these car are compared to everything else I ever owned. And mine is far from perfect, she needs little wiring fixes here and there but overall she has "good bones". Engine was rebuilt by a mitsu tech, removed balance shafts and jet valves, replaced pretty much every vacuum line in the engine bay. The car already has a good set of coilovers along with upgraded swaybars. I probably over paid for it but love at first sight hit hard. She did come with a spare g54, spare transmission, some kind of crazy custom fabbed t3 manifold and BOXES of other brand new parts. And now to introduce my old girl!

Stacey2.jpg

Stacey.jpg

Screenshot_20220803-065328_Chrome.jpg

Congrats that's awesome! I was in the same boat, I seen them on the road in the 80's and thought that's the start of the pro touring look! I had to have one so I went to the dealer and test drove one, it was $21,000 in 1988! I passed and bought a rust free Texas car.

I wanted to ask how the coilovers ride, I want stock height but a good ride.

Thanks and enjoy great looking ride.

Welcome home!

Greg

Thank you for the welcome. One of the things I actually love about the car is that it is a GREAT driver. I'm not sure what brand the coilvers are I can get back to you on that. But I was blown away by the ride quality. Zero issues driving this car all day long without feeling fatigued. Definitely can't wait to do a rack and pinion swap in the future. 

Since those photos I've actually had the car vinyl wrapped another color, done a headlamp upgrade and installed a downpipe 

9 hours ago, nc_beagle said:

Congratulations! I hope you enjoy it for many years.

I feel as if I'll enjoy it for a long time. I intend on doing a full restoration, going to the gas station/car wash/beer store never gets old hearing people ask "what is that? Where did you get it?" Hence my username haha

30 minutes ago, techboy said:

Congrats and welcome. Is that stock Silver, Palmero Grey, or an aftermarket repaint? Looks too dark for OEM silver.

I was told that this is a factory olive grey car but it's definitely been repainted(poorly I might add) hence my having the car vinyl wrapped until I have the extra funds laying around for a proper paint job. Thank you for the welcome. Definitely excited to find that there's still some activity in this forum since I don't have facebook

1 hour ago, 1SICDSM said:

congrats welcom to the family

Thank you! I guess I'll also post a pic of what she currently looks like. The ones above are from when I first got her. Can't post any of the one I took on my phone though because even after resizing, the file is too large. So have to use the crummy ones friends have sent me

IMG_2684.jpg

18 minutes ago, Gregster1234 said:

I’m not trying to be nosy but about what does a wrap cost like this? Or is it paint?

Thanks

No worries at all I'm an open book with costs on projects. It's a vinyl wrap and cost me $2500 through a friend's shop. He usually charges $4000+ depending on the vehicle. It was a cost effective decision to go this route and make the car more visually appealing for the time being till I have the extra $9000ish I've been quoted for paint 

19 hours ago, Gregster1234 said:

Exactly, I’m experiencing chips from rocks. I think a wrap preserves what’s underneath also and can be replaced when tired of the color.

Yes vinyl wrap will preserve what's underneath. BUT if the paint is in rough shape underneath, the vinyl will pull the paint off when you go to peel it and change colors

12 hours ago, psu_Crash said:

Welcome aboard and congrats on a nice SQ! That repaint looked alright from the pics, but that wrap is sharp! Currently in the process of painting mine. Debated wrapping but I'm committed now lol 

Thank you! Trying to figure out how to upload pics of it in the sun. Paint job underneath had some clearcoat peel and a few runs so it was inconsistent but looked good from 10 feet back. The wrap obviously makes it look ALOT better. What color are you painting yours?

Doing a tri coat. Pure white, pearl necklace and a little ghost blue pearl for the clear. If I ever get it done it should look incredible ... I hope 😄 

It's been a 3 year project at this point. Covid had a lot to do with that though. Plant shut down during all the nonsense and moved 850 miles south. Mid body work. So that was fun. It will be done this summer for sure

On 6/1/2023 at 10:45 AM, psu_Crash said:

Doing a tri coat. Pure white, pearl necklace and a little ghost blue pearl for the clear. If I ever get it done it should look incredible ... I hope 😄 

It's been a 3 year project at this point. Covid had a lot to do with that though. Plant shut down during all the nonsense and moved 850 miles south. Mid body work. So that was fun. It will be done this summer for sure

Sounds sharp! Sorry to hear of work going sideways for you. Hope you've been able to bounce back okay. And nice! You literally never see Starquests anywhere up here so that's neat to hear

• Like 1