Best StarQuest Engine Swap

nc_beagle

Best StarQuest Engine Swap?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Not worrying about specific engines, which would be your ideal swap into a StarQuest?

• NA 4-Cylinder
    • Turbo 4
    • NA 6-Cylinder
    • Turbo 6
    • NA 8-Cylinder
    • Turbo 8
    • Rotary
    • Electric/Hybrid
    • Diesel
    • Other

It's all opinions and mine has always been NONE, keep the G54B or buy the car that was made for the engine you want to put in one of these cars.   

But again, it's opinion and I respect people's own desires on how they build their particular cars....just please actually finish the swap and don't tear the thing a part, give up down the road, and it winds up stripped for parts or crushed.  

• Like 1

Where's the 5-cylinder love? 😄

Starquest has to stay inline in my opinion, so turbo 4, 5, or 6 is the way. I wish there was a small, light, cheap all-aluminum DOHC 5 or 6 that would be an easy RWD swap, so I voted turbo 6, even though in reality I'm doing a turbo 4 swap.

Ideal swap? Inline 6 such as 1JZ or 2JZ. Car was basically made to fit something like that. The G54 is a good engine but has it's drawbacks. Going MPI really opens it up. The bottleneck of an intake system on these cars robs it of power. 

A good tubular manifold and big turbo you can make some serious power on the G54. Even with a TD06 16G turbo on TBI I made 300hp 400tq at 18 psi. That isn't even a large turbo. 

Joe's conquest with MPI and a big turbo was insane to drive. I did some tuning with the Haltech before he went to MS and I had that thing flying. 

I wanted to do the Ford 2.3 ecoboost, get a mustang driveline and you have a 6 speed manual. SCT tune up to 450rwhp last I saw. I have one in my explorer, 6500 towing capacity, 3 row seating and I can get 30mpg on the highway. Get 25mpg betting the hell out of this thing in town, it’s a company car so she gets beat hard. If you didn’t know it was a 4cly you would think it has a V8. Can’t feel difference with the AC on or if you have 6 big people in it. I tow my compact tractor and hydraulic tilt trailer with it and it does awesome. The 2.3 and 3.5 ecoboost are the only 2 engines that have really impressed me in the last decade. 

• 11 months later...
On 4/26/2023 at 10:22 AM, kev said:

It's all opinions and mine has always been NONE, keep the G54B or buy the car that was made for the engine you want to put in one of these cars.   

But again, it's opinion and I respect people's own desires on how they build their particular cars....just please actually finish the swap and don't tear the thing a part, give up down the road, and it winds up stripped for parts or crushed.  

done that a few times 😪