Windshield Clip and Trim replacement / installation

techboy

For the past 6 years since I "completed" the restoration of my car I have avoided dealing with the windshield trim pc that runs along the top of the car.  To be fair, I installed it when I put the car back together, but after the first test drive it blew off on the highway and got completely mangled.   Pcristquester sold me another, but I've had it on the shelf ever since.  Yesterday, I drove the car to work and one of my coworkers asked me if the top trim on the car was missing - so I figured it was FINALLY time to do something about it.

The reason I've put it off so much is because when the car was crushed by the tree and I had the roof replaced, they autobody shop removed the windshield, and when they reinstalled it they went crazy with the windshield urethane and basically made it impossible to install new clips.  I don't know if anyone has ever dealt with windshield urethane before, but it is not fun to remove that stuff.

So, if anyone else is in my situation, here's the process I went through ...

Here's the car without the trim:

SBkFUb.jpg

First, prep work.  I taped off the roof of the car, and covered the hood/windshield with a giant blanket.

vDSHV1.jpg

Grabbed my dremel and the smallest grinding bit I could find.

6VWHUK.jpg

If you've never looked into this part of the car before, there's 6 "pins" along the top of the windshield / roofline - they basically look like nails.  There's plastic clips that are supposed to snap onto them, that in turn hold the trim piece in place.  Here's a picture of my 2-fold problem.  The clips are busted and they are buried in the urethane.

n4sCe8.jpg

So I just carefully started grinding.  I periodically stopped to clean things up with a shop vac so I could see past all the rubber bits.  Got the old clip out.

GCxm1l.jpg

Now I had to clean out really good around the pin.

jbilMj.jpg

PIN #1

mLkCwR.jpg

On to PIN #2

NzBUG6.jpg

5FBMmE.jpg

PIN #3

Ka1GIN.jpg

PIN #4

YyA6Wt.jpg

PIN #5

KRNEIw.jpg

PIN #6 - I guess I'm going to have to lose my TOP 25 Show Winner sticker.  Lol.

eq9Hpl.jpg

8v8Sg6.jpg

There is nothing fun about this process.  It's time consuming and tedious.  It took me about 2 hours to get everything all cleaned out and cleaned up.

Unfortunately, even with the painters tape, I nicked the roof line at a few spots. I wasn't too upset about it b/c I think it's going to be under the trim anyway.  I do I have some color matching touch up paint and I took the extra time touch them up.

AxS5gb.jpg

iMWbhY.jpg

Can't even tell ...

pXgWEt.jpg

Here's a pulled back image of the roofline after cleaning everything up.

Z68JH5.jpg

I bought these clips a long time ago in hopes of getting to this project someday.

rRoZw3.jpg

All new clips installed on the 6 pins.

Fmnfpr.jpg

Close up:

MsfM05.jpg

Before installing the trim pc, I put 6 pieces of tape along the top of the car so I knew exactly where to put to pressure to snap the trim in place.

8RUc23.jpg

Then I just placed the trim pc in place and went along each clip and pushed down until I heard it snap in place.  

FINALLY!  After all these years I have a top window trim.  Should have tackled this a long time ago, but oh well, it's done now.

J2a8Zt.jpg

The car actually looks funny to me ... b/c I haven't had a trim up there for so long, it just looks so "clean".  Lol.  Maybe I'll win some car shows for real now.  

Nz2IS3.jpg

Good luck to all the SQCers out there, hope this helps someone out.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, obsolete said:

Thank you for posting this! Mine is feeling a little loose, it's on the to-do list before it blows off like yours did.

Do you know whether the clips are still available?

1 hour ago, TexasQuest said:

Very nice work! What is the part # for the clips? 

Hmmm ... I have no idea of they are available or not anymore. I bought these many many years ago.  I do remember on the old board spending many hours digging through old threads trying to find a place to buy them. Someone had a link somewhere.

I'll take of my box and post it.

• Like 1

Fwiw I had a similar issue where a windshield company had not put the trim back in well and it came off. They actually paid me money to go find a parts car and get the trim! In any case the clips were broken and they said something about using clips from a Jeep which worked..

I don't know what year or model but maybe that can help someone in the future when looking.

• 10 months later...

Hey Techboy, I'm finally doing this myself. I have the old clips 95% out but did not remove any of the caulk gunk. Did you put any more "gunk" on it before snapping the trim back on? Anything to help it stick better than the clips alone? I have replacement clips ready to go.

Nope, just snapped it on with the clips. It runs UNDER the left and right side trim peices so that helps hold it down too.

I FINALLY got the old, crumbling clips out and cleared enough of the urethane or whatever it is to slide the new ones on. It really was a good test of patience. I didn't use the Dremel route, but a razor blade, very small screwdriver, and needle nose pliers.

Before I install the replacement piece, I began to wonder if there is a good way to restore its color (as well as the other windshield trim pieces?)

I used the DupiColor trim and bumper paint to repaint mine before install.  I lovecthat stuff. I've used it a ton of times on many cars all with good results.

22 hours ago, techboy said:

I used the DupiColor trim and bumper paint to repaint mine before install.  I lovecthat stuff. I've used it a ton of times on many cars all with good results.

Great, I already have a can on order for my wiper cowls. Thanks!

I use 'SEM trim black' on the window trim and really all of the satin black trim on these cars, as well as any car really.  I love the stuff.  

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried spraying my top windshield trim (not currently on the car) with both the SEM and the Dupli-Color and I'm not getting a nice, smooth matte finish. It's coming otu with what I might call a "textured" look. The surface of the trim is smooth (under the paint) but I'm not getting good results.

I don't have a lot of experience doing this so any tips for getting a smoother finish? I did shake the cans for at least a minute before spraying.

Also, are these products good for the rear bumper (on one of my cars its black--not body colored.)

Thanks,
Mark

Are you getting fisheyes?  Or ... what exactly is going on?  Wipe everything with alcohol or lacquer thinner before you spray.  That should eliminate any impurities that might be affecting your paint.

I'll upload pictures of the spray paint cans when I am allowed to. Apparently the limit is 3.85kb per day???

It was a warm, sunny day when I painted it. Not sure about humidity. I tried twice with the same results each time.

Most of the SEM bumper and trim paints want many very light coats with generous flash times. What you posted looks like what I have seen from wet coats. I do 3 dust coats maybe 12-24hrs between coats, it’s a chemical process that bonds. 

It's only letting me upload files that are 0.2kb in size so I'll just write that it is SEM Trim Black Ultra Matte 49133. The other paint is Dupli-Color Trim & Bumper Paint with Fade-X Technology.

I'll try your suggestion, BKB94. Thanks!