Wipers don't park (resolved - with the help of others)

madmanperez

This has been a long running problem.

Before the site went down I had read a post about this situation and the poster basically said pull the motor clean out 30+ year old grease slather dielectric  grease and it should be all good.

Now some history. They wipers (a long time ago) started doing an incomplete sweeps during interment setting, including no park (no difference speed sensitive or not) as the car heated up the sweep got better until after about 10min the sweep was back to normal. During that incomplete situation regular low or high speed did the same with no park., again when the car warmed up it got better.

Fast forward to today, pulled the motor, cleaned out the gunk (holy sh%t what a ton or crap). loaded in the dielectric grease, closed it all up re-installed and boom (no real sound). The wipers now run up and stop (engine not warmed up) not returning to park.

So I'm guessing I missed something. I can't find the original post. 

I'm hoping you guys and girls have some helpful information

TIA

Edited by madmanperez

I lost the pictures I took when I did mine, and it's been a minute since, so I forgot specifically which part it is, but there's a pivot at each of the wiper arms that also should be lubed (I believe I used wheel bearing grease). It's not the linkage joints, but the base of the stud that the wiper arm bolts to:
zEaZ3Bd.png

On 3/5/2023 at 4:10 AM, bflann said:

you need to ground wiper motor frame

Yes, exactly!   There is a metal clip that is on the frame of the motor.  Make sure it is first there and second clean.  It is the ground to chassis.  If you lose it, the wipers won't park and the intermittent will be all messed up.

full

full

full

full

Thanks for all the info. I always thought I had a good ground but when I pulled the motor  I realized it wasn't as good (read clean). Used a dremal (spelling?) and polished the pieces real good. put it back together and wala, all is working as it should, but (and there's always a but) my windshield is squeaky clean or there is still a problem. when I spray the windshield the wipers work perfectly its when the windshield no longer has any water or moisture the wipers drag and stop (read stuck). As soon as I spray they free up. I mean its not a big deal, I mean, who uses wipers when your not cleaning or raining right?

Again I want to say thanks, this what I like about this site, there's always some one or more than one who has input leading to a solution or the solution itself. 

Edited by madmanperez

• madmanperez changed the title to Wipers don't park (resolved - with the help of others)

Your wiper pivots are probably tight and with the extra friction of the dry windshield the motor can't do it. 

This sounds dumb but...…on my fair weather cars I have figured out the wipers need more exercise.  Occasionally when I wash them I will spray the hose on the windshield and let the wipers run full blast for a little while.  This keeps the gears moving and keeps the pivots from freezing up.  My Barracuda is regularly driven but garage kept and fair weather driven.  The wiper pivots actually froze up completely at one point from lack of use.  I cleaned the pivots up and got them working well, then ended up driving it into Hurricane Florence in 2018 and relied on the wipers for hours at a time at some points.  That is when I started making sure the wipers got used more often on my cars that I try to avoid rain with.  

The reality is on cars that are seldom driven you need to use all the items when you do drive them.  Wipers, lights, hazards, heat and AC etc.  Using all this stuff on seldom driven cars helps a ton.  Lack of use is worse than daily use.  

Yeah I think when I did mine, the part that really made a huge difference I think was lubing the wiper pivots. Ever since, my wipers have been flawless. Even made a noticeable difference in the volt meter.

• 3 weeks later...