Looking for a Vacuum Advance... 1987

FBS

Hi.. so I have been slowly going through everyones suggestions trying to see whats going on....  I have discovered that I have no vacuum advance... I hooked up a vacuum pump to it and I have no reading on the dial...I tried it multiple times.  Makes sense why it is running the way it does . I have a brand new distributor in the box but it has no vacuum advance on it.. not sure why..   I looked online at part stores...   funny  Napa says they have one for a 86 with the same part number for an 87 that they say is out of stock... not sure  must be a ghost part...  Does anyone have anything available... ?  

Thank you 

FB 

Yes I sent him and email... He replied that he does not have it either....  Its got me thinking about how hard would it be to make one...  I do have a 3D printer.... and materials that will hold up in that environment... just not sure how it all works.. I cannot quite see it in my mind, but I guess would have to take one apart and reverse engineer it.  

Edited by FBS

1 hour ago, FBS said:

Yes I sent him and email... He replied that he does not have it either....  Its got me thinking about how hard would it be to make one...  I do have a 3D printer.... and materials that will hold up in that environment... just not sure how it all works.. I cannot quite see it in my mind, but I guess would have to take one apart and reverse engineer it.  

I'm sure I have at least 3 of these collecting dust. I'll try to remember and take a look tonight. If I do have a good one it's your for the price of shipping. 

Edit: Says they have them in stock here. Who knows if that's accurate though. 

https://www.mitsubishipartswarehouse.com/oem-parts/mitsubishi-distributor-advance-md611360

Edited by psu_Crash
added content

Hmm... well... when I got the car it came with several boxes of parts... all kinds of stuff.  I had looked through it all and thought I had one of those in there... Last night after I discovered it was bad I went digging....  3 times I went through all of it..  even had my wife help me.  I. could not find one.... so I came begging here to see if I there were any other options.  Got up this morning and said ok one more time....    I decided I was going to empty everything out and sort it all out.  I must have missed this one box.  Opened it and there it was... brand new.... Vacuum advance after all.  I apologize for the mix up.. but we did learn one thing.... this part is very short in supply.... it appears.  psu_Crash had a good idea though... adaptation... 

Its actually not hard to make things like this with a 3D Printer.... I am expert at CAD drawing parts from existing parts.  If anyone here ever needs some little plastic part or something let me know...I will see what I can do.. once I make the drawing... its just print.  I am going to take the old one apart I think..see how it goes together.  Does anyone know what the little hex nut on the top of it does..?

I did take the car out for a ride after fixing this and its not the same car it was before... it used to have this jerk like the engine stopped momentarily when you stomped on it.. thats gone... and it is so smooth now through the gears...  

So thats 3 things now I have fixed... Fuel pump, Fuel Pump pressure Regulator.. and the vacuum advance....  Next the ISC...TPS idle thing...  hard to start when cold and the idle goes up and down until it gets warm...  seem the engine is starving for fuel.. not rich enough..

Thanks to everyone for responding... I will check out the last possible. place and report back. :)

• Like 2

I fought the idle surge also, oddly enough it caused me problems beyond idle as well that I never could figure out.  But fixing the surge fixed those problems.

In my case I had to do the TPS/ISC reset more than once, the first time it got better but wasn't fully better.  The 2nd round took care of it and it has been fine ever since, in 100* and 5* it has idled and started perfectly.  

Edited by BlueCuda

20 hours ago, psu_Crash said:

I'm sure I have at least 3 of these collecting dust. I'll try to remember and take a look tonight. If I do have a good one it's your for the price of shipping. 

Edit: Says they have them in stock here. Who knows if that's accurate though. 

https://www.mitsubishipartswarehouse.com/oem-parts/mitsubishi-distributor-advance-md611360

Ok... called them and result is they dont have it either.... ghost part...   Thank you for your kind generosity... but since I managed to find the one that was hidden I wont probably need one... for a while.... the one I took off made it over 200,000 miles... I think what has happened to the old one is the rubber diaphragm is stiff....  Thanks again for you kindness...  :)

Edited by FBS
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/18/2023 at 11:09 AM, performanceimport said:

Called them and it's a no-go. Does anyone have a source for a vac advance? I'm on the hunt too. 

I'm curios about your phone call .... why did they say it's a no-go??  They literally advertise vac advance rebuilding on their website.