MR2 Rear Strut Info

StarionTroy

I've seen many talk about using MR2 struts as inserts for Starions, but for some reason I can't find a write-up on it. So, which exact struts am I looking for and what modifications (if any) need to be done to install them? I have a 87 widebody for reference.

This should get you started. https://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/149466-mr2-strut-parts-list/

There used to be a lot of info about this on here, but some of it is now broken. If you look through the suspension section under modifications there is probably more

The rear struts will require a modified housing.  Mookeeh sells them, TEP converts them, or you can find a local welder to cut open housing and weld back together or cut off and retap for a different gland nut.

On 2/5/2023 at 12:50 PM, psu_Crash said:

This should get you started. https://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/149466-mr2-strut-parts-list/

There used to be a lot of info about this on here, but some of it is now broken. If you look through the suspension section under modifications there is probably more

Seems like the OP is asking a lot of good questions, I'll rephrase them a bit though:

1. Can I reuse the stock springs on the rear?

2. Do I need camber plates or can I use the OEM top hats both front and on rear?

3. With the MR2 front struts on the rear of the car, will the rear now sit lower than the front?

4. In the case that the answer to Question 3 is yes, do the Starion Mookeeh front struts have a shorter stroke to match the MR2 struts? Then will I have to also change out the springs/top hats?

Like the OP, I want a cheap option that works as factory. Please tell me the answers to these questions if you have them.

• 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, StarionTroy said:

Bump. Is everyone running D2/Ksport, or just have blown rear struts like I do? I just want to have a quality setup that involves as little aftermarket components and fabrication as possible...

I ended up going with KSports because I couldn't find much of anything for the rears struts. I'm sure if I waited long enough I would have found what I needed by scouring Ebay, but since my fronts were on borrowed time as well, I elected to go the aftermarket route to have a completely fresh setup that wouldn't be piecemeal. If I didn't lower mine, I'm confident I could set it up to ride like stock, or at least really close.
I'm not sure OEM-grade replacements are feasible anymore; the suspension setup for our cars is pretty bespoke, and Mitsubishi seems to have long forgot it's history.
If it helps, it looks like Steve at https://starquestparts.net/ has a set of welded D2 coilovers ready to go in the Undercarriage section of his site right now.

Edited by GoldStar