NDD Motorsports Subframes

GoldStar

Thought I'd post this here, NDD Motorsports is making subframes (front and rear) for our cars, as well as control arms:
https://ndd-motorsports.mybigcommerce.com/ndd-parts/conquest-starion/

Haven't personally done business with them yet, but if they're willing to make custom subframes for this aging platform, they're good in my book.

oh man, I wish I saw this sooner before I refreshed all my bushings and cleaned/painted all the subframes and control arms.  Though I noticed there is an option for steering rack mounts.  I may have to get the front subframe!

I'd want the 8.8 just to get rid of the torque tube.

Axles would be an extra cost, but not too bad. There a couple shops that will make custom length/splined axle shafts for whatever CV joints you have on either end. Should cost significantly less than a DSS setup.

18 minutes ago, obsolete said:

I'd want the 8.8 just to get rid of the torque tube.

Axles would be an extra cost, but not too bad. There a couple shops that will make custom length/splined axle shafts for whatever CV joints you have on either end. Should cost significantly less than a DSS setup.

I have an idea for a torque tube eliminator but haven't been under the car to see if it would really work or not.  If my idea worked it wouldn't be all that complicated.  It would require a custom driveshaft but that's easy.  

These are awsome, I started a similar project years ago with rear control arms but it never got finished. I am also curious about the 8.8 rear

1 hour ago, BKB94 said:

It was just a few nights ago I was looking to see what people were doing for short half shafts for the 8.8. I have a few aluminum 8.8s around and it would be the logical upgrade. 

Dutchman is the best place I know of: https://dutchmanaxles.com/services.html

A pair of new, fully custom CV shafts through them is around $600.

Fortin is another option I know of; I haven't seen a quote from them but I suspect they are more expensive: https://www.fortinracing.com/product/gun-drilled-custom-axles/

The only issue I see with the front subframe is the lack of reinforcement on the ends where the frame bolts to the body. If they added triangular bracing there it could strengthen it further. The piping used does look beefy though.

As for differential options a good consideration would be Cadillac CTS or Camaro rear diffs. They are cheap, widely available, and easy to fab up mounts for. If the torque tube is required then look at using GMC Acadia/Chevy Traverse rear differentials as those use a torque tube. Those are electronically controlled but it wouldn't be hard to get around that and convert them to full time locking. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, psu_Crash said:

I want details on the NDD modified power rack. Definitely interested in this!

I emailed them and asked the other day.

Their rack comes with all parts needed for conversion. But that's about all they would tell me

9 hours ago, Turbo Cary said:

The only issue I see with the front subframe is the lack of reinforcement on the ends where the frame bolts to the body. If they added triangular bracing there it could strengthen it further. The piping used does look beefy though.

As for differential options a good consideration would be Cadillac CTS or Camaro rear diffs. They are cheap, widely available, and easy to fab up mounts for. If the torque tube is required then look at using GMC Acadia/Chevy Traverse rear differentials as those use a torque tube. Those are electronically controlled but it wouldn't be hard to get around that and convert them to full time locking. 

Okay, I had to look up the Traverse rear diff, since I haven't seen one before, and oh my, what a torque tube it is! I'm not sure you'd have much of a driveshaft at all if you used one of these, maybe just a double cardan joint between this and the trans ;)

Traverses are fairly heavy, but I'd worry about the torque capacity of these diffs, coming from a transverse-engined AWD vehicle. The Camaro 8.6" is probably better.

Picture 1 of 6

A Traverse uses a 3.6 V6 with some newer models approaching 300hp or more. I doubt a SQ could break one. I see them break mostly due to poor maintenance and poor electronics. If you eliminated the electronics you could have a solid system.

Being that the traverse is all wheel drive that axle never sees all the power, and it is getting its power from a automatic trans that is heavily held back from any hard loads.  

Modern cars make it real hard to tear up drivetrain parts with all the torque limiting and timing management, not to mention the drive by wire throttle never lets you just send it.  

On 11/19/2022 at 8:39 AM, tux said:

I emailed them and asked the other day.

Their rack comes with all parts needed for conversion. But that's about all they would tell me

Interesting. They need to define "all". If it has rod ends that are plug and play as well as a good way to adapt to the stock steering shaft, I'm in!

1 minute ago, psu_Crash said:

Interesting. They need to define "all". If it has rod ends that are plug and play as well as a good way to adapt to the stock steering shaft, I'm in!

Ya, it wasn't clearly defined, I didn't push for more information as I want to enjoy the car a bit before I go pulling anything else apart.

On 11/21/2022 at 1:03 PM, tux said:

Ya, it wasn't clearly defined, I didn't push for more information as I want to enjoy the car a bit before I go pulling anything else apart.

Where's the fun in that!? 😆once i get closer to being ready for something like this i'll have to inquire. By that time MKS may have one available too.

Edited by psu_Crash

• 1 month later...