Oil Leak

I've read a few threads talking about various oil leaks and how to track each one down. I've got on that appears to be coming from the back of the head. It's pretty severe and it doesn't quite make sense how it could be that bad. Is there a "trick" to getting the valve cover gasket to seal? Is there something else that commonly causes the leak from that area? Is there something more that I can do besides RTV and tightening down the single bolt on the rear? (silly design) It's a brand new gasket and the RTV has had plenty of time to set up. Still a steady profuse leak 😕

Check 9-24 in the fsm.  There is a circular packing at the rear of the head listed as item 12.  That could be your problem.

I haven't had any issues w/ even the lowest price valve cover gaskets.

Also, don't over tighten the valve cover, could deform it or rip the threads out easily (it's all aluminum).

Edited by tux

Is that all you changed was the gasket?  Or did you go further and install ARP head studs without cutting baffles to clear the rear studs?

Dad

On 10/15/2022 at 6:53 AM, Dad said:

Is that all you changed was the gasket?  Or did you go further and install ARP head studs without cutting baffles to clear the rear studs?

Dad

The car did come with ARP head studs with a non-jet head. I didn't think to clearance anything, as I'm very new to this and didn't know it was an issue. I will DEFINITELY look into that. Thanks for the heads up.

2 hours ago, jeffball610 said:

The car did come with ARP head studs with a non-jet head. I didn't think to clearance anything, as I'm very new to this and didn't know it was an issue. I will DEFINITELY look into that. Thanks for the heads up.

The baffles on the back side near the VC breather port should be obvious if it have been modified to clear the studs. Used to be pics in the FAQ section... I'm not sure now. 

Welcome Aboard! I see you are only a few hours from me. 

You can use a small mirror to see back side of engine. The circular plug is just about in middle of back of head. Wipe it down and run it to see of it leaks. If the valve cover has not been modified for arp studs it will  not sit flat when bolts are loosened. There is a plate under the vent at back left of valve cover. With valve cover flipped over the parts of that plate will have to be removed so top of arp stud can fit into that space.