Power Steering Pump Options?

techboy

The steering coupler would be a problem , they have been broken in the past with people de powering the pump seeing that that coupler is rubber and somewhat rotted by now. The MKS universal coupler would help. I believe you can still get the manual truck boxes from the gear box rebuilds and shorten steering shaft, Just by all means keep your old box if you swap, starquests steering gears are only for our chassis. Many have been lost with core trade ins .

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe just a note.  Everyone is out of stock on pumps. AutoZone, advance auto, rockauto, partsgeek, napa, O'Reilley, etc.

My most recent one from AutoZone starting pissing fluid through the shaft seal with the car not running.  AutoZone only offered cash back, which doesn't help.

I see Mks has a rebuild kit, maybe this rebuild will be a success, but doubtful.

Good luck everyone with their pumps.

• 4 months later...

Resurrecting my thread here ....

I'm posted this here for you guys to review before I proceed ... is there anything wrong with my thinking?

I've been researching for a while now in my spare time trying to find a more modern pump that still sports a V-belt pulley.  I found this Hyundai Accent pump.  According to a conversation I had with my father-in-law (professional mechanic) the pump won't care if it sees PS fluid or ATF.  He seems to think it's most likely the starquest gearbox that requires the ATF.  I'm thinking I'd buy this pump, fab a bracket for mounting, and then also buy the Hyundai high pressure line and use an AN fitting to splice to the Starquest line.  This pump uses a Banjo style feed line, while ours uses a flare nut, so that's why you'd need the high pressure line as well.  There's a sensor on this pump, but I'm thinking you can just leave it capped.  

Gimmie your thoughts before I spend the money ...

I don't feel like rebuilding the pump just have it leak again, and I'm not interested in doing a whole rack swap and all that right now.  Looking for a semi-quick solution to a problem a lot of us have.

YCGcg8.jpg

It looks very promising!   I wish there was a photo of the rear, for it looks like a KYB pump as well...which wouldn't surprise me, Hyundai utilizes a lot of the same Suppliers as Mitsu.    I agree that the pump shouldn't care the type of hydraulic fluid, especially AFT.  It should 'pump' it fine and the seals will be fine.   

I have spare stock PS pump mounts if you would want to modify?    

I like your thinking. I bet the mounting will be easy. You can skip buying the Hyundai high pressure line and just use a banjo-to-AN adapter. I know Summit, etc. have steel ones that are intended for power steering.

The only thing that might be an issue is the factory pump tensions the belt by loosening the bolts behind the pulley and then retightening them after you stretch the belt.  This one doesn't look like it does that. 

Edited by TexasQuest

On 5/2/2023 at 12:23 PM, kev said:

It looks very promising!   I wish there was a photo of the rear, for it looks like a KYB pump as well...which wouldn't surprise me, Hyundai utilizes a lot of the same Suppliers as Mitsu.    I agree that the pump shouldn't care the type of hydraulic fluid, especially AFT.  It should 'pump' it fine and the seals will be fine.   

I have spare stock PS pump mounts if you would want to modify?    

That's exactly what I thought when I stumbled across it. It looks very similar to our KYB pump. Glad I'm not the only one who thought that.

Thanks for the offer on the bracket kev, I have one and I dug it out already. It's sitting on my bench. Going to pull the trigger on this soon. Gonna be my summer project.

• 2 weeks later...

Many times the pump leak is due to a gearbox issue. The wide body gear boxes wore out much faster than the narrow body. I figure it is because of the added stress on it. 

I rebuilt an '83 PS pump with the Rock Auto kit with no issues.