Luggage compartment light switch

tux

All I can find is this:

The cargo light, located on the right side of the luggage compartment will illuminate whenever the rear hatch is opened. I don't see a separate switch for it.

Good Luck,

Bill

Look into this: 1987 Starion FSM Vol no. 1 Section 23 pages 25 to 28. There are some electrical connections that you can check. The red/white wire that comes off of the luggage compartment light goes straight to the red/white wire on the rear hatch switch, that might be a good place to start. Information is from the 1987 Starion FSM Vol no.2 Section 8 page 70 Wiring harness- Dome light circuit.

Edited by Caliber308

www.starquestgarage.com has a 1988 conquest fsm that should be close to the 1987 starion fsm.

1988 conquest fsm section 23 pages 36 to 39.

1988 conquest fsm group 26 section 8 pages 43 and 65.

In the 1988 fsm the wire off the luggage light that hooks up to the  rear hatch switch is red/yellow.

Edited by Caliber308

The reason I am suggesting the wire between the luggage light and the rear hatch switch is because that is most likely the point that breaks the circuit to shut the light off upon closing the rear hatch.

It is in the schematic that is in the 1988 conquest fsm that I posted in a prior post.  The wire from the luggage light (red/white) goes to the rear hatch switch. It is part of the rear hatch latch. Your going to have to remove the carpeted rear panel to get to it.

Edited by Caliber308

The switch is in the latch I think the passenger side. Look in there and you will see a white plastic piece the moves up and down when you close the hatch. Your switch is probably froze from the lack of lube or it broke.   

4 hours ago, BuGG said:

The switch is in the latch I think the passenger side. Look in there and you will see a white plastic piece the moves up and down when you close the hatch. Your switch is probably froze from the lack of lube or it broke.   

Thanks!

That narrows it down for me.

I hate removing that carpeted panel since it's so delicate.

• 2 months later...

This thread is a few months old, but I meant to post this a while back.  BUGG is correct, the switch is down inside the passenger side latch.  I never did mess with it to figure out my problem (could just be the bulb honestly), but here's a pic of the switch.

hwqOoW.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks!  i ended up cutting the wires to my lights (i put two led strips on both sides.  I'll try to reconnect and push that down and see if it does anything when I get my car back from the paint shop

• 1 year later...

My cargo light wouldnt come on. The problem was that switch that techboy showed a pic of. I sprayed it with electronics contact cleaner while working the switch back and forth and now the light works, yay!

• Like 1