Low RPM 'stumble' - RESOLVED

kev

5 hours ago, tux said:

Nice job Kev.  I've got a mid rpm stumble on one of mine recently found to be EGR as well.

Oddly, it seems Mookeeh isn't selling EGR block off plates anymore

You can still get them from various DSM sites. The DSM cars used the same style EGR.

There has a been a big crack down on aftermarket parts like EGR plates, especially on ebay. STM or MAP performance still has them. 

Thanks for the infor.  I think I will just make one though.   I just need to buy a piece of aluminum bar stock.  I don't like using steel on aluminum, which is what I currently have with the sheet metal plate sandwiched in but it will be temporary.  

1 hour ago, kev said:

Thanks for the infor.  I think I will just make one though.   I just need to buy a piece of aluminum bar stock.  I don't like using steel on aluminum, which is what I currently have with the sheet metal plate sandwiched in but it will be temporary.  

If you want a plate from Mookeeh, he will sell one off ebay.  Msg'ed him.

• 1 month later...

I've been loving driving this car since I resolved this issue but I have been having one lingering item..a rough idle.  And it was not due to a TPS/ISC.   It was similar to what was happening when cruising...just a little stumble.   And this past week, it would sporadically stumble more than normal and stall.   It was very intermittent and, surprisingly, seemed to only do it in a certain section of town that I drove in.       So, this weekend, I popped the hood.   Did another TPS/ISC check/reset.   Rose the idle a hair so it wouldn't stall but it still would stumble bad at times and want to.    While sniffing around under the hood, I decided to change my VC gasket.   On a sidenote, I remember being able to pull the VC multiple times without changing the gasket but, on this car, it seems like every time I pull the VC, I get an oil leak in the rear and the only thing that amends it is a new gasket.   But anyways, I changed it out.   When I had the PCV line off, I pressure tested it and found a crack in it!    I tossed on a thick-walled silicone hose for the time being, and you guessed it, it fixed the idle issue!   I wouldn't be surprised if it was adding to the stumble at rpm prior too.   I knew it felt like it was getting a hair of unmetered air and I've exhausted all of the other vacuum lines and intercooler & lines.   

I had that line off several times and even looked it over closely but never saw the crack.  It wasn't until I put air pressure to it that I found it.   Well, regardless to say, I'm elated.  It runs like a champ now!    

I figured I'd post this here just to add to the resolution, in hopes that it helps others in the future.   

I really need to re-create my build thread on this car (and my other car too).   

Nice work, I have had an issue with mine idling low on occasion and haven't looked into it much yet.  It seems to be isolated to driving at night.  The ISC will catch it and pull the idle back up but the abacus of a computer in these things is a little slow to do so lol.  Before I dig into it much I need to do the normal TPS and ISC reset though.  

On 1/16/2023 at 9:37 AM, kev said:

When I had the PCV line off, I pressure tested it and found a crack in it!    I tossed on a thick-walled silicone hose for the time being, and you guessed it, it fixed the idle issue!

My car came with a silicone hose on the PCV and it was turning to mush. The stuff is good for coolant, and vac/boost as long as it isn't too oily, but as you're probably already aware, oil or oily air like PCV will degrade it badly over time. I wasn't able to find a new OEM PCV hose domestically, so I had to order it from Amayama. Maybe something that would be good for Dad to start stocking.

On 1/17/2023 at 2:09 PM, obsolete said:

My car came with a silicone hose on the PCV and it was turning to mush. The stuff is good for coolant, and vac/boost as long as it isn't too oily, but as you're probably already aware, oil or oily air like PCV will degrade it badly over time. I wasn't able to find a new OEM PCV hose domestically, so I had to order it from Amayama. Maybe something that would be good for Dad to start stocking.

Engine Machine Service, Inc. - Conquest