My next project ... rear hatch replacement

techboy

Getting closer. I was able to get the hatch installed tonight with help of my wife.  Just need to wrap up a few odds and ends.  A little hard to see the "TURBO" in this light, but it'll look good - I promise.

i409XP.jpg

Yqk9Kn.jpg

I contacted the graphics company that made my rear graphic back in '16, luckily they still had the graphic on file so I'll picking that up tomorrow.

• Like 1

Picked up the new copy of the rear graphic.  It's hard to see but it's laying on the table in front of my old hatch.

B9v6qQ.jpg

Measured and marked everything out.

ezjuDl.jpg

Ran a credit card over it a few times to make sure we had good adhesion.   I increased the gap between the "N" in Starion and the "E" in ESIR b/c I felt like on my old hatch the graphic kinda all ran together and looked like one long word.  I like the spacing better this time around. 

MGQBDH.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good , love the paint color. Is the decal reflective vinyl ?

On 10/1/2022 at 9:07 AM, 860QuestTuner said:

Looking good , love the paint color. Is the decal reflective vinyl ?

Thanks.

And no, I don't believe it's reflective.  Pretty sure it's just regular old white vinyl.

• 5 months later...
On 8/3/2022 at 11:35 AM, obsolete said:

That's what I would do instead of risking drilling through the glass. Instead of tape, I would use this, 3M 8001: https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/3m/3m-5-ounce-weatherstrip-adhesive/mmm0/08001?q=3m+8001&pos=0. The only compromise is that the spoiler will probably never come off the hatch again.

I may use this plan as I have a flatty hatch as well but also have a spare widebody hatch with spoiler.  I didnt realize there was a difference between the  hatches until now .. thought I had to remove the flatty metal and move widie body version to it.  worst case I will still have my original hatch with spoiler to put back on the car 

• 1 month later...

Hey @techboy, thanks to you and this thread, I am now a member of the successful Starquest hatch spoiler removal club, and I've got the special-edition, members-only allen wrench to prove it:

AcRiwMQ.jpg

This is a hatch I bought from a part-out years ago, its spoiler will now live on to replace the wavy one on my car. Thanks for the great thread!

On 5/6/2023 at 8:16 PM, obsolete said:

Hey @techboy, thanks to you and this thread, I am now a member of the successful Starquest hatch spoiler removal club, and I've got the special-edition, members-only allen wrench to prove it:

AcRiwMQ.jpg

This is a hatch I bought from a part-out years ago, its spoiler will now live on to replace the wavy one on my car. Thanks for the great thread!

Nothing makes me feel better than knowing something I did and documented helped someone else. Part of why I was irritated when the old board went down and many tutorials got lost.

• Like 1

I just made a new post in the FAQ section linking to this.   

If anyone sees some good threads and recommends moving them to the FAQ, let me know.  I've been trying to do this as I see them, but I'm sure I have missed a few.  

• Like 1