Door window trim

Evoz17

So im finally getting my 86 painted this year. I started sanding a few weeks ago but only working on it an hour or two in the late afternoons. Got the hood, fenders, roof and most of the doors sanded. Now i was thinking of a color change ( from rio red), but how do you remove the door window trims? id hate for them to break on me, i already dont have a wiper cowl it crumpled when i took my wipers apart to re grease the joints. If its something where im most likely to break then i might just have it red again.

Go to www.starquestgarage.com . Most likely they will have a Factory Service Manual to show you about how to  proceed with the removal. The problem I would have is if they did not come out correctly and got destroyed. I don"t think that you can buy replacements. Perhaps another member on here knows of a source, I do not.

Bill

Not sure if you are the same person who posted this question on facebook or not.  If not, there was a response put up yesterday with a video on how to do it.   Only thing I'd do differently is not to use a metal screwdriver but rather a nylon trim tool.    Also to get the last piece off around the mirror,  you have to remove the mirror itself.   The mirror is accessible by simply removing the plastic triangular piece on the inside but you will have to pull the door panel to unplug it.   Once you remove the nut on the  mirror and slide the mirror out with it's electrical cord, there is a screw hidden under the mirror to remove the last trim piece.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, obsolete said:

It's hard to do a color change right...unless you do a ton of prep work, there's always somewhere where the original color peeks through. I'd get it redone in factory red.

Im usually not one for color changes as you said to do it right is alot of prep work. But in my opinion there seems to be more red starquest then any other colors. Was thinking of a shade of grey. 

1 hour ago, kev said:

Not sure if you are the same person who posted this question on facebook or not.  If not, there was a response put up yesterday with a video on how to do it.   Only thing I'd do differently is not to use a metal screwdriver but rather a nylon trim tool.    Also to get the last piece off around the mirror,  you have to remove the mirror itself.   The mirror is accessible by simply removing the plastic triangular piece on the inside but you will have to pull the door panel to unplug it.   Once you remove the nut on the  mirror and slide the mirror out with it's electrical cord, there is a screw hidden under the mirror to remove the last trim piece.  

Yes that was me . 😅

27 minutes ago, Evoz17 said:

Im usually not one for color changes as you said to do it right is alot of prep work. But in my opinion there seems to be more red starquest then any other colors. Was thinking of a shade of grey. 

Rio Red - RO4  is a nice color ☺️

I'm not the biggest fan of Rio Red either but that is mainly because it is the most noticeable when it starts to deteriorate, and it seems to deteriorate faster than all of the other colors.   Rio Reds were the also most 'common' conquest seen...but nowadays, you don't see many of these cars at all anymore, so I don't think that point really stands.   

With that said, I've done color changes a few times with these cars and, to do it right, is a very extensive effort.   Unless you literally strip the entire car in and out and respray, you will still find traces of the original color, which will drive you mad down the road.  In my opinion, I'd stick with the Rio Red or a similar hue of red.  

1 hour ago, Evoz17 said:

Yes thats my color code, but even if i go with that the red, in my engine bay has seem to fade to a more of a orangeish red color.

So, if that is the only reason to repaint.......It would be easier to pull the motor, mask off the engine bay and paint it black,gray or any other color you think will hold up. Unless it is a show car,  I would not be concerned about what color red the engine bay faded to, especially if you plan to drive it a lot. After all, these cars run HOT under the hood and I think any color would fade under those conditions.

Good Luck in making your decision,

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

My paint is really bad. There's some pics in my resto thread. My fenders, hood have the paint extremely dry rotting i guess, its cracked all over. The roof and rear quarters buffed and polished out to a nice red shine . That's main reason for paint and the fact i picked it up like that 8 years ago i think its time to paint it. But your right im not pulling the motor this time around, but later on i will and just go black in the bay.  Did that to one of my talons back in the day, plus it not a show car.

31 minutes ago, obsolete said:

Some people get hung up on having a rare color, but the reason red quests are the most common is because they look great :) 

Ditto ☺️  I would feel the same way if I had a Corvette.....Red only.

20 hours ago, Caliber308 said:

Ditto ☺️  I would feel the same way if I had a Corvette.....Red only.

I have a c5 vette 😁 in sliver, not the color i wanted , was looking for white.

Yea. I looked at a 1979 red Corvette with 80,000 miles on it last month in Phoenix. A grocery list of  receipts about  parts replaced. He wanted  $22,500.00, I offered $20,000.00 cash.....The seller refused the offer. His loss.

Edited by Caliber308
  • Like 1

Contact Steele rubber products, they can make or send you samples of seals. They claim they can provide any seal needed. When I get around to the box of extra seals/trim in my garage rafters I was going to send them a side profile of door seal.