What is getting done to your car over the weekend?

BlueCuda

I am swapping the primary fan with the Subaru fan motor and the 7 blade fan.  If I get time I am also going to look into upgrading the power wire to the ignition.  

Both those projects are because I finally got my AC working well and the volt gauge and borderline cooling system struggles are very real now.  

I am also pulling the engine out of my Barracuda to swap cams and get it ready for Hot Rod Drag Week in September.  I didn't think this project would happen due to the parts shortages out there but after months of back orders I believe I have all the parts.  This would normally have been a winter project but I made the smart decision of getting back into the conquest game and that took %100 of my winter car energy lol.  Now that it is 100* on the weekends is a great time to start taking a car apart that is 100% fine.  

This place has been slower than normal even so I wanted to start something.

My Starion is finished. Maybe dust it off. I will most likely take my Sand rail out that I converted into a Street rail and terrorize the neighbors☺️ 

DSCF0001 (3) (1024x768).jpg

Edited by Caliber308

The subaru motor and 7 blade fan couldn't have been any easier.  I had a spare fan so I was able to put it all together on the bench and then swap out the one on the car.  I didn't drive it yet but I don't see how it couldn't make things at least a little bit better.  

My condenser fan apparently died sometime in the last week.  It was working the other day when I was messing with the AC and now it isn't.  Its getting power but not working.   I have one from my parts car that I assume is good.  

9 hours ago, tux said:

I'm pulling my oil cooler and figuring out a better way to remote and find the leak in my an fittings.

Is there a parts list out there for what is needed to use AN lines for the oil cooler?  In like 1999 when I had my first conquest I had started to gather parts to make them AN lines but the car got smoked before I finished and I used the line on another project.  

I had a fair amount of trial and error when i changed everything to an fittings.  I've got a boat load of incorrect pieces :)

don't recall though what fittings i used but i have 8an lines to a b&m cooler

I was finally able to turn the key on my black 88 on Saturday.  It's been down since march with what started to be an auto to manual swap but found oil in the coolant which lead to a full teardown.     It fired right up and runs/drives incredibly smooth!   

• Like 1

On 7/4/2022 at 1:05 AM, tux said:

I had a fair amount of trial and error when i changed everything to an fittings.  I've got a boat load of incorrect pieces :)

don't recall though what fittings i used but i have 8an lines to a b&m cooler

I had issues like this in the past with Redhorse brand AN fittings.  I will say that I had great success with summit racing's brand of fittings.   It sucked to buy all new fittings but I swapped everything out with summit racing's AN fittings and haven't had any leaks at all

The Jury is still out on the subaru fan motor and blade upgrade.  It for sure didn't make anything worse, but its hard to say if it made anything better.  My truck said it was 104 when I came home and hopped in the conquest to run some parts around this evening.  It wasn't uncomfortably hot but it was over the halfway mark on the gauge.  I have done lots of flushes on this coolant system but I have yet to have the radiator rodded out.  I will get around to that eventually.   

I've had Summit AN fittings with scratches on the sealing surfaces brand new in the packaging, I had an Aeroquip pre-made braided hose that was only crimped on one end, and then there was the whole issue with Russell quick disconnect fittings coming apart and burning down cars. Aftermarket stuff is always a mixed bag.

On 7/1/2022 at 3:02 PM, Caliber308 said:

My Starion is finished. Maybe dust it off. I will most likely take my Sand rail out that I converted into a Street rail and terrorize the neighbors☺️ 

DSCF0001 (3) (1024x768).jpg

I've always wanted a sand rail. Those are a blast to drive!

• 1 month later...