RPM Range, and Valve Spring Question

BlueCuda

The engine in my car is a combo of a 116K mile short block and a seemingly recent reman cylinder head.  The head had been crack repaired and had one of those melt off warranty tags on it.  It was also very clean.    I have no idea if the head is original to a turbo motor or not, it does have jet valves.  

The car is stock minus a 3" catless exhaust and the EGR is plugged at the head.  It runs out of steam about 5000rpm, it will rev up to 5500 but you can tell its not where it is happy.  Is that normal?  Its been 22 years since I owned one of these and I don't remember.  

Did the turbo motors come with different valve springs?  If so could that be a reason this thing seems to fall off a little early?  When I swapped the head I used the cam that came from the engine in the car.  The reman head had an elgin cam in it but I wanted to be sure I used an original, didn't know if it mattered or not but that is what I did.  

Thanks for any input.

If it has jet valves it is likely a stock cylinder head. 5000 to 5500 rpms is about all your going to get from a stock set up, these engines were made for torque not high revs.

This is the set up I have:

AMC Marnal cylinder head.

Over sized ss valves.

HD valve springs.

Tim C. Roller cam/ roller rockers.

I can get 7000 rpms out of it.

Bill

• Thanks 1

It should still pull to its maximum rpm.  5-5.5k is normal but it shouldn't be like cutting out or anything, just not revving farther.  Schneider cams makes a good HD valve spring for our cars and isn't too expensive.   But you still have other things to contend with, for instance that huge flywheel.