Where are all the questions for help in the Virtual and Advanced Mechanic forums?

Caliber308

Hell, when I was a new member on this site in 2002 , I had a ton of questions about these cars. Is it that their are fewer Starquest owners, or that some don't want to ask questions, in fear of looking like a novice. We were all novices when we purchased these cars. No one knew everything about these cars years ago...except Shelby !!! Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Bill

Cal ... unfortunately I think a lot of people have moved to FB groups.  For those of us that refuse to be a part of a FB and hangout here ... I think a lot of us (or at least me) were really put off by the loss of the old board and 7 years of content.  Throw in the fact that all the parts for these cars is becoming obsolete and here we are.

But, I'm with you, I wish there was more discussion and more people asking questions.

Fewer Starquests, Starquest owners, and the Facebook groups are the main culprits, I'd wager. That, and the the pinned topics here do a good job taking care of most stuff.

I'm thinking an effort should be made to remind those in the Facebook groups that the site exists (and signups are free!). I'm in a couple of them, and I know a multitude of the questions that are asked on a weekly basis could be answered by searching here. Hell, I saw a guy who did a pretty good write-up on how to rebuild the whole ABS modulator, but Facebook's format made reading it a slog. Tried to get him to sign up and make a post here, but he seemed put off about it like it was too much work.

Edited by GoldStar

Thanks guys for the replies. I was off this site for appox, 7 years or 8 years. I have visited the Facebook sites....They don't do a thing for me. I remember this site being so crowded that sometimes it could take awhile to post. I guess that losing members like Shelby, Professor Quest and losing years of information put a dent in membership...and that is sad because their are still a lot of experienced Starquest owners here that are willing to help.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

I like hanging here. I don't do FB.  Still like trading parts and helping or looking up things I forgot. I do miss Shelby getting on me but doing it with a long lesson leaving you more knowledgeable and taken down a peg. We still out here trying to keep these things going. At least MKS is helping with parts and DAD trying to get something going.

The facebook groups killed message boards all across.  The positive to a facebook group is you can get a reply rather quick, the quality of that reply can vary wildly!  The negative is they have more people and that means more idiots.  That media is also heard to search so what good info is out there is hard to find again.

I much prefer message boards, but where I used to use 5-6 message boards I am down to 3 and only 2 of that I check regularly.  

My conquest didn't run when I got it, and I had just bought another engine and a parts car when the board crashed.  I was about to be very lost!  But thankfully the data that was saved was good, and I also got knowledgeable answers when I did need something.  It went from a corpse to a reliable driver in a short time mostly thanks to the knowledge on this board.  

Instagram. Then FB. The old forum model is outdated for today but the OG's still know. New people aren't coming here to look for answers, not because the answers aren't here but because generations that came after us don't want to spend a bunch of time hunting for answers, they want quick gratification.

Also, and this isn't new, the attitude toward noobs hasn't always been good here, the whole "search for it before posting" response and expecting visitors to read the rules before they look for help... typical forum stuff.

On 3/10/2022 at 3:44 PM, Caliber308 said:

Thanks guys for the replies. I was off this site for appox, 7 years or 8 years. I have visited the Facebook sites....They don't do a thing for me. I remember this site being so crowded that sometimes it could take awhile to post. I guess that losing members like Shelby, Professor Quest and losing years of information put a dent in membership...and that is sad because their are still a lot of experienced Starquest owners here that are willing to help.

Bill

ahhh Shelby RIP.  I remember being a little 16 yo kid asking him questions trying to get my first car running.  he was such a good dude.

• Like 1