NLA Fusible Links

GoldStar

Posting this as an FYI. I recently tried to order a full set of replacement fusible links from one of my local Mitsu dealers. I was able to order replacements for all of them except for the 18 gauge red link (part # MB037669). In my conversation with the parts counter, it sounds like all the other links may be destined for the same fate, albeit they can be acquired for now.
My red links are fine for the moment, but I guess I'll have to make my own when it's time.

18 hours ago, kev said:

Wonder if they are still available in Japan.  One of the online Mitsubishi wholesalers would know if you sent them a message.  

There's a good chance they're still available overseas from websites like Nengun. Genuine Mitsubishi OEM parts supplied from Japan - Nengun Performance

2 hours ago, kev said:

mitsubishiparts.com is a wholesaler that can order from Japan.  I talked to them about a month ago for transmission parts.   It takes about three months for them to get them but they can access japan stock

Wow I wasn't aware of that. That's good to know next time I order from them.

Amayama might be able to get them too: https://mitsubishi.epc-data.com/starion/a187a/mnfg/chassis-electrical/wiring-attaching-parts/34088,34089,34090/

I've had them cancel orders on me sometimes, though. If they list an exact quantity, you know they actually have it. If they just say >1, then maybe. At least when I've run into parts being NLA there, they will update the online listing to say it's discontinued instead of continuing to take orders and refunding them like the US dealers do.

23 hours ago, obsolete said:

Amayama might be able to get them too: https://mitsubishi.epc-data.com/starion/a187a/mnfg/chassis-electrical/wiring-attaching-parts/34088,34089,34090/

I've had them cancel orders on me sometimes, though. If they list an exact quantity, you know they actually have it. If they just say >1, then maybe. At least when I've run into parts being NLA there, they will update the online listing to say it's discontinued instead of continuing to take orders and refunding them like the US dealers do.

I couldn't remember the name of Amayama. Yes they are good too.

• 2 months later...

The factory fuse link design isn't worth duplicating. The design flaw in the fuse link is why you need a fuse link. LoL!

It is best to solder in new links using the proper sized new fuse link wire. Get rid of that bogus link box. 

You can solder new link wire to the old terminals too. All they need is a good cleaning and maybe some tightening up on the female terminals.

• 2 weeks later...

I always intended on just replacing those links with a fuse box. I understand the links act different than a fuse, to an extent. A good CC class time delay fuse will definitely protect other wires from burning though without being a hassle. 

I didn't use time delay fuses when I tried a fuse box.  I was constantly blowing fuses and switched back.

If I was to do it all again, I would probably use something like this https://ecumasterusa.com/collections/power-management/products/ecumaster-pmu16-autosport-power-management-unit?variant=35809114751140

But it's very unlikely I'll have such a fried wire harness ever again.

On 4/29/2022 at 10:39 AM, Tim_C. said:

The factory fuse link design isn't worth duplicating. The design flaw in the fuse link is why you need a fuse link. LoL!

It is best to solder in new links using the proper sized new fuse link wire. Get rid of that bogus link box. 

You can solder new link wire to the old terminals too. All they need is a good cleaning and maybe some tightening up on the female terminals.

Excellent advice. Members should listen to Tims advice. After all, he has been in the Starquest game for a long time.

Bill

Not sure why y'all continue using fusible links. I know and understand how they work but automotive manufacturers have long since stopped using them.

With as old as these cars are now going to a better designed fuse block and wiring harness would be ideal. You keep all the functionality, lose weight, and have an easier time diagnosing things. 

I eliminated all the fusable links on my old SQ and never had an issue. You can get a universal wiring kit from Painless for about 500-800 dollars. All your wiring would be new, simplified, and easier to diagnose.