Power Steering High Pressure Hose Replacement

Gregster1234

I have changed that hose without pulling the motor.

Essentially, unbolt the the hose from the gearbox.  Unbolt the hose from the power steering pump.  Then remove bolted in hose clips along the back of the firewall.

To install hose, follow the same procedure.

I removed the hood so i didn't keep hitting my head when i was reaching back there.

Make sure to use very good line wrenches.  I use SK wrenches now based on recommendations but have heard that Snap-On are better. 

In the past I've used craftsman, harborfreight, Miller (the chinese made ones, not the old ones made in USA) and husky line wrenches... they all rounded off line nuts

Edited by tux

I was just removing these too recently and I agree that cheap flare wrenches will definitely round off the nuts. I felt the wrench starting to slip and stopped before it did too much damage.

I've had great success with the crowfoot style flare wrenches. They are way thicker and more rigid than a standard wrench. They're not too expensive either, good tools to have on hand.

14mm for the HP. 17mm for the LP. 

There is hardly any room for a flare wrench. I use a crows foot with a 12” extension and 8” extension on the ratchet.  Brings the ratchet up over the intake.  Look straight down on the joint. You’ll have a good view and take your time and not let the crows foot slip off.   

It’s not difficult. If you are replacing the line anyways, just cut the line and put a socket on it.  

pull the heat shield that goes in the turbo area. There are a few brackets you have to remove but it comes right out.  

In my experience getting them off isn't hard. Getting that hard line back on the steering box though is a serious pain. That's why I went with all flexible lines now.

Which brought on it's own set of issues ... but I digress

1 hour ago, psu_Crash said:

In my experience getting them off isn't hard. Getting that hard line back on the steering box though is a serious pain. That's why I went with all flexible lines now.

Which brought on it's own set of issues ... but I digress

I agree, that is the hardest part.   One usually threads in fine but the other always is a pain (and it's usually not consistent per car).   If you are replacing the line, start the threads of the fitting in the steering box before you start clamping the line back in.  

• 3 weeks later...

Great to hear!   Thanks for letting us know it worked.   3 hours...damn!   I've struggled with getting those starting to thread in but not for that long.   Was it an aftermarket line or a good used one that you put in?