Rear LCA hub bolt

tux

Anyone have any tips for pulling the rear LCA bolts out?

Trying to change the bushes.  I already removed the 12mm small bolt and tried heat, loads of pb blaster, a dead blow hammer, but i can't get that bolt to budge.

Any other tips before i try an air hammer or just cut it out and hope i can find replacement bolts?

Edited by tux

• tux changed the title to Rear LCA hub bolt

P.Q. Also said that the bolt was a P.I.T.A. to get out because of rust  but it could be done. Spray Blaster in the hole where you removed the thru bolt and let it sit ,don't be in a hurry. If it doesn't come loose, try it again with Blaster. Also the FSM says to make sure that the mark on the end of the bolt is pointing down, most likely for reassembly.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

Thanks.   i saw the notes in manual.  And my bushing kit came with similar instructions about spraying in the hole.

Been at it on and off for 3 days.  Definitely not in a rush.  But also not sure it's going to free itself ever.

DON'T CUT THE BOLT!!!!! NLA from Japan. P.Q. Said that you could put a little heat to it. Depending on the size of the bolt as a last resort, you might be able to  cut a similar notch in another bolt of the same size. After all, we will all be doing things like that when we run out of spare parts and it seems like that time is coming sooner than later.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

Use a map gas torch to heat the knuckle up. Get it good and hot then try spinning the bolt in the knuckle. But be careful about it possibly snapping. I would spray it with PB blaster and allow to soak for a day or so before attempting

3 hours ago, tux said:

I'm going to buy and attempt to use one of those induction heat things.  Getting nowhere with map gas and pb blaster.

If not cutting is next.

I have used one of those before and they work amazing! Literally in 5 seconds the nut was glowing red and came right off. That was used to take a catalytic converter bolt off a 5.3 GM engine. I think if you did that in stages from one end of the hub to the other and tried to move the bolt it would work. 

• 2 weeks later...

I got my new inductor and a flexible piece of wire for it and wrapped around the LCA where the bolt is.  Couldn't get much over 330 degrees f.

Not enough heat to may any difference it seems.

Might be cutting them bolts out.