Preludedude's SILVER 1JZ/R154 Build

Preludedude

• 3 months later...
54 minutes ago, nc_beagle said:

Just watched the coffee video. What did you do to your gauges? It looks like a digital display?

And are those seats covered or restored? I looked at wet okole, etc... but nothing seems available for pre 1990 cars.

That is a Haltech IC7 digital dash. 

And the seats are recovered for sure. They were black 1987 seats and someone had them reupholstered in black/gray.  I bought them off a guy in Atlanta GA in 2019. 

• 2 months later...

I took the Conquest out to Cars&Coffee 3 weeks ago. I haven't been to one since February when I posted up those videos. I've been to a couple of small meets but nothing big. 

So once I got home from the Cars&Coffee event, I started browsing the FB group looking at everyone's photos to see if I could find any of my car.

Here are the only two I found:

This one was from a guy who sets up at the entrance and takes pictures of all cars. His album had over 1,000 photos so I knew I could find this one. 

C0POAWJ.jpg

And I saw this picture randomly while browsing someone else's photos. 

xFRJhR5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Car looks great Prelude!  I love the garage too.  My garage is always a complete mess b/c I'm always building a motor, restoring a car, or something.  Someday I'd love to just stop - clean everything up, and just have a clean, organized garage without parts all over the place.

I can tell from the pic it's nice and deep ... assuming a double deep?  Mine is also double deep, but I have 3 cars inside and a "workshop" in what is essentially the other bay.  I would really love to build a pole barn with a loft so all the parts can go into storage in vertical space and keep the garage "clean" more like yours, but I don't have the land to do it.  We all have dreams I guess.  For now I have to work with what I got and remind myself my first had a narrow single car garage that I couldn't open the drivers door all the way and now I have what I have.   

It’s a 24x36.  So yes, plenty of room for 4 cars….

But I made the back half a hangout.  And plus, I don’t need 4 toys. Having only 2 spaces keeps me from buying other cars. 

And it has an attic also where I keep totes of parts.  So I can keep it pretty clean. 

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, kev said:

I saw on FB that you are considering selling the car.   How come?   

I’m just ready to move on. Been 14 years.

Been eyeballing other cool cars. Things like C7 Z06s or Viper Gen2 GTSs. Maybe a VW dune buggy 4-seater for the wife and kids to enjoy with me as well. 

I’m glad I was able to get the car completed.  It’s extremely fun, and gets ton of attention at shows and meets. And it’s plenty fast for me. 

But I’ve hit a wall where I refuse to spend another dime on it. I can’t justify another dollar on it after these 14 years.  Just the past 2 years has cost me a stupid amount of money in parts and shop labor.  But it’s done and I’m proud of the results. 

33 minutes ago, Preludedude said:

I’m just ready to move on. Been 14 years.

Been eyeballing other cool cars. Things like C7 Z06s or Viper Gen2 GTSs. Maybe a VW dune buggy 4-seater for the wife and kids to enjoy with me as well. 

I’m glad I was able to get the car completed.  It’s extremely fun, and gets ton of attention at shows and meets. And it’s plenty fast for me. 

But I’ve hit a wall where I refuse to spend another dime on it. I can’t justify another dollar on it after these 14 years.  Just the past 2 years has cost me a stupid amount of money in parts and shop labor.  But it’s done and I’m proud of the results. 

I get that.  I put mine up on FB marketplace back in the spring at a "shot in the dark" number just to see.  All I got was trade offers.  I didn't seriously think that car would sell, but I was curious.  I'm starting to inch closer to 50 now and all I've ever owed are 2 Mitsu's ... the Eclipse and Starion.  I'm super proud of both cars, but I look online at other stuff constantly.  I'm always thinking about what it might be like to own this or that.  I'll probably never sell b/c I just can't bring myself to do it, but I understand where you're coming from.

SIDE NOTE; I think I'd feel differently if anything Mitsu was well supported, but they've really dropped the ball making it difficult to keep anything from them on the road.  Total opposite of what happened with American muscle.  And it's a shame b/c I think there's plenty of people out there who would keep them going, but it really boils down to diehards at this point.

I don't think I could do it with my car.  20 years it took to restore it and I've owned it for almost 28 years.   Yes, I agree, that I enjoyed building it more than driving it..especially being that I have so much work and money into it that I'm always afraid it is going to break, or I mess something up...but I don't think I could sell it.    I know I'd always regret if I let it go.   I'd rather pass it on to one of my kids one day.    I'd love the cash to build my 68 mustang, which I have owned since 2009 and basically sits as a shell untouched in my garage, but I'll slowly build that one up too as time and money permits just as I did with the cq.    

I still kick myself for selling my first car, 84 starion, back in 1995.  That's the car I'd have all restored now if I wouldn't have been so drawn to a wide-body in my teens (and not enough resources to keep the 84 too).  

But I do understand the drive to own other cars.  There are several I'd love to own.  I always wanted a foxbody mustang, for some reason, but now the prices are going high like our cars...and I'd actually want it bone stock.   Also, really would like a british roadster, something modest and simple like a spitfire or MGB would be more than sufficient.   I no longer have the draw to 'fast' cars like I use to.  I find that the more I age, the more I don't care about that.  I drive my mpi cq like a grandpa, which is the fastest car I own or ever owned.   I even traded in my daily driver ram 1500 with a 390hp hemi for a jeep gladiator 3.6l 6speed manual that struggles to get out of its own way...and I  love driving it more than I ever did the ram.  

Well, I'm hoping you have a change in heart and keep it because you have always been such a prominent member of the community but fully understand the reasoning for letting her go.   

kev

• 2 weeks later...

One of the best Iistings I've seen on eBay in a long time. Very thorough.   Man, at that price this is so tempting for me. I've always loved silver on these - my favorite color. Never owned one. 

• 3 weeks later...