Preludedude's SILVER 1JZ/R154 Build

Preludedude

@techboyIt's not all gone. I managed to make it up to page 28 in the archive: https://web.archive.org/web/20200119131235/http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=136464&st=540#entry1579441

@PreludedudeSorry for cluttering up your build thread, looking forward to seeing some posts about your car :) 

I tried that archive thing a few weeks back when someone on here mentioned, but I couldn't figure it out. *Maybe* I'll use the links you provided to rebuild. I won't say anything more about it here, don't want you clutter your thread.

• 11 months later...

So here we are....Let's try adding little updates...

I brought the car back home January 13, 2023.   Made the 16hr round trip from South Carolina to Ohio and back home to South Carolina. Hauled the car back with a Uhaul trailer.

The 1JZ/R154 swap was completed and car was dyno'd and ready.

Encountered 2 snow storms on way home (in KY and TN)...Which was pretty sketchy driving through the mountains with the car on a trailer.

Now fast forward to today.........

The car is safe in the garage. I got the exterior/interior put all back together.

Edited by Preludedude

Here left and right side I took quickly last night because I was asking a guy about a paint correction (which may not be possible on this old tired paint)

I had the rear bumper, front bumper, hood, headpanel, headlight covers all painted in 2017....so thats fresh...But the rest of the car looks pretty bad...

Right-Side.jpg

LeftSide.jpg

Last month, I had picked up some 83 hood CF vents made by Janner Misenas on Facebook (Boosted Diamonds)..I didn't even have a 83 hood, but I just thought they were super cool and I'd just find one eventually so I could use the CF vents. I always preferred the cowl hood, and I've found/sold around 5 83 hoods over the years, because I never planned on using one.

But after seeing these CF vents, I had to find one now. So I reached out to FRO here on the forums (Jeff) who is local to me (45min away)...I knew he had a damaged 83 hood from a poor shipment over 12 years ago. So we worked out a price for the damaged hood, and I dropped the hood off at my cousin's shop who does paint.

Here it is repaired and fully restored:

83hoodsilver.jpg

Looks awsome against the silver

I had a guy stop by yesterday to give me a quote on a cut/polish of the paint.  The car has original 35yo silver paint everywhere except the front end. (hood/header panel/headlights/bumper/airdam)

He did a test area and it looked pretty good. Still had some deep scratches (tested the fender area). 

So he's coming back this Saturday to do the full car. Hopefully it comes out nicer. And then I can get it out and take a few pictures. I haven't taken any real outdoor photos since 2017 (when it blew headgasket at the drag strip).

Feels good that I can focus on appearance a little now. Rather than drive-ability...

It looks great!  When you say 'cut and polish', do you mean wet sanded and then buffed?   That's what I take it to mean but I've seen others refer to it as compound and then polish, which I consider just the 'polish' of the term 'cut and polish'.   The latter doesn't get rid of the factory orange peel in the paint.   Either way, it looks great!   

He explained the whole process to me and I didn’t retain it…what I got from it….He used an aggressive pad and compound for the cut and did the whole car, which consumed multiples of these certain pads….

Then he went back and polished the entire car using a finer pad w/ a polish, and consumed multiples of these certain pads…

12 hours ago, admin_JAinsworth said:

Are you bringing this beast to Pigeon Forge this year? I'd love to see it in person.

Jimmy

I’m planning on it. My work schedule may hinder me. But I’ve been the last 4 years in a row and now that my car is ready….of course the work schedule is up in the air.