Anyone have a top down image of the fuel tank?

varzaman

Hey, putting together my fuel tank right now. Wondering if anyone still has a top down view of the tank that I can use as a reference.

I find the manual diagrams hard to read, so I've been using images I've found on here for sanity checks...except the ones I have saved are gone now :(

So I just found out something. I had my tank sent out to get sandblasted and coated with rust. When I first got it back, everything looked relatively in tact, but I guess I wasn't looking close enough.

1. I'm missing the middle hard line piece (the intermediary between the tank in/out and the black u shaped box). I assume that isn't that big of a deal, I can just extend the hose so it's just a single run instead of split with that hardline.

2. I'm also missing the brackets that hold the tank separator (or whatever the u shaped black piece is) in place. As it stands, I don't actually have anywhere to screw it in. This is slightly more concerning......

Any ideas on what to do with attaching the black piece?

Edited by varzaman

Those hardlines aren't that big of a deal.   Sometimes they crud up with time anyways.  Yes, just bypass them with rubber hose.

For the vapor tank; it doesn't have to be that sophisticated, it just needs something to hold it to in order to keep it from moving around.   If it was a rebuilt tank that hasn't had any fuel in it yet, I would be just tacking in some steel to make new brackets.   If you don't have a welder, or don't want to do that, you could try some JBweld if you have a large enough clamp to get around the tank to press it in position until it cures.    The brackets are nothing more than just bent pieces of sheet metal.  If memory serves me correctly, there is only one screw in the one bracket.  The other two just sandwich the plastic.   

Could also just band it to the tank from the tank lips.  Something like a cinch strap may work

• Like 1

Thanks for the response, very helpful.

Welding is not something I can do at this time (plus no equipment anyways). Always something I wanted to learn on a basic level though for this type of stuff though.

So the JBWeld is probably the way to go. I'll adhere the box directly to the tank. I can't see a reason why I'd ever need to remove it.

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally have the tank put back together.

https://imgur.com/a/fBvDq3P

I have a top down pic, everything look good to you guys? (ignore some missing hose clamps, I know some are missing heh).

The main concern though I have is of the fuel line from the pump to the tank, I couldn't re use the elbow hose that was stock, so I'm trying to bend normal hose without it kinking and having a difficult. The way I have it right now though might be too big of a loop to fit.

Any ideas? Do I just have to get some an inner tube to put in the hose and shape it?

Hmm ... I don't remember having a problem there. That's a pretty big loop. I would worry about it being kinked against something on the underside of the car.  Maybe try a slightly more flexible hose? IT doesn't need to be a high pressure rated line on that side of the pump, but you don't want it to collapse under a vacuum either. I would head to the local parts store and ask to start hunting through their formed fuel lines. I bet you can find something close enough to do the trick. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, psu_Crash said:

Hmm ... I don't remember having a problem there. That's a pretty big loop. I would worry about it being kinked against something on the underside of the car.  Maybe try a slightly more flexible hose? IT doesn't need to be a high pressure rated line on that side of the pump, but you don't want it to collapse under a vacuum either. I would head to the local parts store and ask to start hunting through their formed fuel lines. I bet you can find something close enough to do the trick. 

Ah preformed hoses. I'll give that a try if I can't get this loop smaller.

Ordered this online: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YLXS7C3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Kinda on a tight schedule though, so I don't think I'll get this in time. Locally it seems like no one carries pre molded fuel line 😕

What if I connected to hoses with a brass splitter like this? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-2-in-Barb-Brass-Splicer-Fitting-800079/300096845

I have a 90 degree bend right now...it just isn't long enough. So if I splice two rubber hoses together with the above, would it be safe?

I think the splicer is safe enough, so used that and got the tank ready to go. I thought I was all set to put the tank back in.....

But I found a major problem. The previous owner, or previous mechanic CUT THE HARDLINE right before the inverted flare. There is just a rubber hose that was connecting hardline to hardline.

WHAT THE HELL??????

Here is an image of what I'm talking about: https://imgur.com/eAGlBbM

(I cut the rubber hose to make it easier to get off. At the time I didn't think much of it...until now. Don't procrastinate lol)

Instead of trying to disconnect the pump from the flare, they cut it off at the hardline and replaced it with a hose.

Gonna go cry myself to sleep.

What do I do at this point? This surely can't be safe.

Could I flare the end of it and use a 5an tube nut and sleeve? I never flared anything before, this would be my first one. I'm willing to learn anything that doesn't require welding though lol.

@techboyHey saw that you asked me where I got it done earlier, missed that. I had it done at Moyer's Gas Tank Renu in Greensburg, Pa.

edit:

Hey so I just learned about compression fittings like so:
https://www.jegs.com/i/Earls/361/165056/10002/-1

Max PSI rated at 250.......could I use this instead?

Edited by varzaman