CAMS

87redcat

OMG... All of the topics on cams are gone....😲  Only the first discussion is there. anybody copy that by chance???

What are you looking for specifically?    There aren't too many reliable cam options for our cars anymore.  

Yes, the loss of data really sucks.  Despite the drastic drop in contributors on this site in the past five years, we still did lose a ton of good information.  

I know I copied a cam topic or 2 on the old laptop for reference. Might have to dig around and see what I have there. 

On a side note ... I have a handful of cams I've been hoarding for years. I'll use them someday ... maybe :ph34r:

I was looking for the notes on installing the banshee cam.

psu Crash, yea, just like that 68 charger I pass every week for the last 20 years.... Im gonna finish it one of these days.lol

Don't use a banshee roller cam.   

If you mean my threads, I have the photos..just let me know exactly what you are looking for.   I don't remember any other threads in that forum about installing a banshee.  

I still have a HKS and Schneider 274 cam card if that helps. TEP specs as well. I may have saved some of the cam threads as well, will need to check.

3 hours ago, 87redcat said:

I was looking for the notes on installing the banshee cam.

psu Crash, yea, just like that 68 charger I pass every week for the last 20 years.... Im gonna finish it one of these days.lol

I definitely have info on installing the Monsta Banshee Cam. No cam card that I recall, but definitely info from Tim about it if that helps? What's your query?

There were never technically 'cam cards' made up for the banshee cams.   Tim did publish the details on this forum though.   If you were to use it, and I have no clue why you would ever even want to use it, leave it at the home position.  If you try to degree in the intake lobe per the intake centerline, your exhaust lobe will be opening way too early...meaning that it will shut way too early.....not a good scenario.   If you leave it at the zero degree location, the car will run.  It will actually run nice and smooth, but it will be a horsepower loss.   If you don't believe me, read the multiple page thread by chiplee in the cams forum (yes it is still there).   He documented the hp loss long before the 'issue' was discovered.    Plain and simple, the stock slapper camshaft uses a totally different blank than a Mitsubishi roller cam.  There is no 'regrind' of a stock cam that will 'work' with Mitsubishi roller rockers.   And when I say 'work', I mean be a performance improvement over stock.   You need to start with a roller cam blank, such as a Mitsubishi Magna camshaft.   

RPW in Australia has good billet roller cam blanks for our engines and they have several grinds (but are expensive).   I think psu-Crash is running one of these on his car, if I remember correctly?   They use the Magna roller rocker (use to be termed on here as the 1.5 roller rocker but its ratio is actually higher than that).   It is the same rocker used on the exhaust side of a USA made Galant.  Camshaft Billet - Mitsubishi 4G54 Roller Rocker - Racing Performance Works (rpw.com.au)

Here is the graph that use to be in my thread on this topic.  The upper graph is my plot for the monsta banshee.   The lower are several plots that Kevin C. made with a cam profiler.  You can see that any of the conquest cam regrinds with roller rockers had next to no valve overlap.   Again, this will make the car run nice and smooth but sacrifices horsepower.    The only ones with decent overlap are the ones using the AUS cam (i.e. Magna roller cam).  

full

Foolishly I may ask... does anyone know where a stock magna roller cam can be had?

I've been fruitless in my searches except for a few junkyards I called in AUS... but they won't sell just the cam, only the whole block with head and cam.

Yes, I was running a roller setup from RPW with great success and dyno sheets to prove it. Although it only lasted one race season before eating the valves. I blame my selection of valve springs though. Not the cam. 

Tux, has you tried austarion ? They helped me out with parts before

Well, I picked up a banshee cam, the 1.6 rollers and the shims for the valves long ago. About the same time I contacted one of our Australian friends from SQC. He was super nice and actually went to a few junk yards and found me a roller magna cam. I purchased the aussy roller rockers and have them on my wifes engine. That motor has not been run yet. I was going to use the banshee on my engine with 30 over weisco pistons and a njv head from dad. Now... Im not so sure. Im only looking to get 300- 350 hp but if I loose hp with the banshee... Might as well use the stock slapper.

Thoughts...

Good to see all you guys on here again! Might see that banshee up on ebay.lol

Thank you Kev!

On 10/29/2021 at 1:18 PM, psu_Crash said:

Yes, I was running a roller setup from RPW with great success and dyno sheets to prove it. Although it only lasted one race season before eating the valves. I blame my selection of valve springs though. Not the cam. 

Tux, has you tried austarion ? They helped me out with parts before

I did, same for Aussiemagna.  No dices

On 10/30/2021 at 8:46 PM, 87redcat said:

Good to see all you guys on here again! Might see that banshee up on ebay.lol

I have debated doing the same thing with mine. That way I won't know who buys it and I don't have to feel as bad. Same for the roller Schneider 284 I have. They just don't work. Will it run? Sure ... but 

My understanding is that the Schneider 284s issue was more in quality control.  That means that all aren't 'bad'.   Some people had documented performance gains with a Schneider 284H or284F.  The 292s were pretty good too.   Just need to profile them to make sure they actually match the cam card.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2021 at 2:06 PM, kev said:

My understanding is that the Schneider 284s issue was more in quality control.  That means that all aren't 'bad'.   Some people had documented performance gains with a Schneider 284H or284F.  The 292s were pretty good too.   Just need to profile them to make sure they actually match the cam card.  

The 284-RH seemed to match the cam card when dialing it in. The problem is with lifter preload. I just can't bring myself to use the shim method. 

The 284-H I currently have in there definitely made more power up top, but is noticeably less torque on the low end. You know, to give the stock cam guys a chance :ph34r:

I have a 284-RH laying in a box as well.   I think we were the few who were duped into buying them back in the early 2000s.  That is the cam that initiated Tim into developing the banshee series cams.   The 284-RH is cut down so far that the base circle is ground down almost to the diameter of the cam core itself.    Tim got his working but he needed a lot of shims and even had to raise the valve cover for clearance in the rockers.    I never did profile it to determine if it was ground from the stock cq core or a proper roller core.   I made the assumption that it was from a conquest core.    

On 11/16/2021 at 8:41 AM, kev said:

I have a 284-RH laying in a box as well.   I think we were the few who were duped into buying them back in the early 2000s.

Sounds about right. I've had this thing forever. I remember being so excited about it until I tried to set it up on the test bench and saw how much it didn't preload the lifters. Without looking up my notes I want to say it was roughly 100 thou shy of being in spec. I'd sell it if I wouldn't feel guilty about screwing someone. 

yea had a 284 too. sold it after I got the banshee. it seemed like a good option at the time... Now, not too sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Not running the banshee.  Its sitting on the bench looking at me.  Been through a bunch in the last year so no work has really been done to either of my quests. 

Ive got it, the rockers and shims. Itll probably be up for sale.  It was a piece of history I wanted.

• Like 1