Bolt on Turbo options

gabea101

Can anyone tell me a good bolt on Turbo upgrade for the 1987 starion and where to get it?  It has the original turbo on it.  Just looking for a little more HP without any modifications. Any links or phone numbers will be appreciated. Thanks

If you're asking for a bolt on turbo upgrade, it's going to be harder to find. 

You can check on ebay, a lot of people machine out the compressor housing of the stock 12A and fit in various other mitsubishi compressor wheels. Some people even upgrade the compressor housing too. Mitsu turbos are fairly straight forward to C-clamp off and mix and match, as long as you get 'em balanced when you're done.

DSM-14B turbos may still be easy enough to find, but the one you're likely going to want is the evo3 16g. 

Another minor note, aside from clocking the housing and getting the pipes to fit, you may have to make a minor mod to the downpipe flange.

Stock starquests have the stock downpipe without wastegate hole. (1 hole)

DSM's and evos use the diamond style ones with two holes: https://www.ebay.com/itm/133818987037?hash=item1f283bb21d:g:AbkAAOSwXyla9H-b

image.png.a3a532e06449a1381749d29a0b662827.png

Another note, the evo8 and newer use different turbos. Even though they are named similarly, there's an important distinction.

TD05HR-16G is not hte same as TD05H-16G .  The R stands for reverse rotation, i learned this the hard way ;) 

A lot of people will hate on the alternate idea, but now a days the "terrible crappy chinese ebay turbos" are not as bad as they used to be. I haven't used one on a starquest, but have on other cars. A bunch of friends use them and have had great results and for a bargain. You can't even get a damaged/used turbo for under 200 bucks, but you can get one from china to your door. https://www.ebay.com/itm/294331324222?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item448783973e:g:6EAAAOSw8k5hV712

- if you do go this route, make sure you use a restrictor fitting on the oil feed line, as not doing this is the main reason people report their chinese turbos failing. https://www.ebay.com/itm/154454145215

I wouldn't go higher than a 16G on a totally stock conquest.   And even then, it better be running like new first.   A 14G is optimum and was a dealer add when new.  If you are lucky enough, you can still find OEM Mitsubishi 14Gs but most turbo shops could modify your stock 12A to a 14G...or 16G.    

When it comes to OEM Mitsubishi turbos, the turbine and compressor wheels are balanced independently from the factory.   I never 'rebalance' a Mitsubishi turbo when rebuilding it.   It's really only pertinent if you start using aftermarket wheels.   

A popular turbo shop for us, back in the day, was forcedperformance.   They are still around.   Our turbos are no longer up on their webpage (they focus mostly on EVOs) but they have the knowledge and can source the parts to upgrade a factory 12A.   They use to run around the $400 range for a 16G upgrade (in the mid 2000s).  I'd assume inflation probably drove that cost up by a few hundred by now....but it is worth giving them a call.  

19 hours ago, randomguy said:

If you're asking for a bolt on turbo upgrade, it's going to be harder to find. 

You can check on ebay, a lot of people machine out the compressor housing of the stock 12A and fit in various other mitsubishi compressor wheels. Some people even upgrade the compressor housing too. Mitsu turbos are fairly straight forward to C-clamp off and mix and match, as long as you get 'em balanced when you're done.

DSM-14B turbos may still be easy enough to find, but the one you're likely going to want is the evo3 16g. 

Another minor note, aside from clocking the housing and getting the pipes to fit, you may have to make a minor mod to the downpipe flange.

Stock starquests have the stock downpipe without wastegate hole. (1 hole)

DSM's and evos use the diamond style ones with two holes: https://www.ebay.com/itm/133818987037?hash=item1f283bb21d:g:AbkAAOSwXyla9H-b

image.png.a3a532e06449a1381749d29a0b662827.png

Another note, the evo8 and newer use different turbos. Even though they are named similarly, there's an important distinction.

TD05HR-16G is not hte same as TD05H-16G .  The R stands for reverse rotation, i learned this the hard way ;) 

A lot of people will hate on the alternate idea, but now a days the "terrible crappy chinese ebay turbos" are not as bad as they used to be. I haven't used one on a starquest, but have on other cars. A bunch of friends use them and have had great results and for a bargain. You can't even get a damaged/used turbo for under 200 bucks, but you can get one from china to your door. https://www.ebay.com/itm/294331324222?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item448783973e:g:6EAAAOSw8k5hV712

- if you do go this route, make sure you use a restrictor fitting on the oil feed line, as not doing this is the main reason people report their chinese turbos failing. https://www.ebay.com/itm/154454145215

The turbo ebay link is for a 20g I think.  You said look for a TD05H-16G right?  Will any TD05H-16G work on ebay?  Also will I need another downpipe to work with the diamond plate?  Thanks for the info and links.

14 hours ago, kev said:

I wouldn't go higher than a 16G on a totally stock conquest.   And even then, it better be running like new first.   A 14G is optimum and was a dealer add when new.  If you are lucky enough, you can still find OEM Mitsubishi 14Gs but most turbo shops could modify your stock 12A to a 14G...or 16G.    

When it comes to OEM Mitsubishi turbos, the turbine and compressor wheels are balanced independently from the factory.   I never 'rebalance' a Mitsubishi turbo when rebuilding it.   It's really only pertinent if you start using aftermarket wheels.   

A popular turbo shop for us, back in the day, was forcedperformance.   They are still around.   Our turbos are no longer up on their webpage (they focus mostly on EVOs) but they have the knowledge and can source the parts to upgrade a factory 12A.   They use to run around the $400 range for a 16G upgrade (in the mid 2000s).  I'd assume inflation probably drove that cost up by a few hundred by now....but it is worth giving them a call.  

Thanks for the info.