That moment when...

Well, this chapter is coming to an end only so a new one can start. It was a hair over two years, two months ago that I picked up my 87 from Richmond, VA. Like many, she sat for about eight years prior to my ownership. She had electrical issues from stupid previous owners, the engine was locked up, and all kinds of other...stuff.

Anyway! I got her with the intentions to rebuild the motor, fix the electrical issues, and just drive and enjoy her. Quickly, that turned into much more and before I knew it she was undergoing a full nut and bolt restore.

Despite being a full restore with all new/rebuilt parts, it was still a budget build. I've spent countless hours... late nights going into early mornings... gallons of blood spilled from the cuts and slices from hitting this or slipping on that... tears from watching my bank account disintegrate.

All of this has been non stop for over two years along with going to college beyond full time. 99.9% of the work was done by yours trully. The ONLY work that was outsourced was to two machine shops. One to install and machine for new valve guides and the other to press on and off the inner pinion bearing for the rear diff. That's the ONLY two things that I didn't do. A total price of $75 for those two things.

With all the penny pinching... hours upon hours of research... rockauto discounts... I can firmly state that the total price of work plus initial purchase adds up to under $3k. However, all that time spent and watching her turn into a shell and then back to a car does something to a person. That moment that the car starts... that moment that the car is thrown into gear and you let the clutch pedal out to the grabbing point and you feel that car moving under its own power. Those moments are when it all becomes unbelieveable. Those little things you did to get her to where she is. Those tiny details that only you'll see. It's the moment that pride really sets in and that $3k turns into "priceless". I feel that even if I were offered $4 million for her, I would immediately decline. It's hard to impossible to put a price on something so personal and meaningful. At a point it becomes about so much more than money.

That's my story. Have I inspired you? Do I pull at the strings tied to your throttle plates? What's YOUR story?

- Charles

Edited by nightwalkerancestery