Cruise Control Foam filters

techboy

I'm in the midst of a restoration and I took apart my cruise control today. The little foam filters inside are completely disintegrated. I did some searching on here and I found an old thread where Starfigtherpilot (I think) posted up and said you could use aquarium foam filters ...

My question is, since I've never had fish before and I'm not familiar with these filters ... how did you guys cut them out? Scissors, Xacto, some other way I'm missing?

http://imageshack.com/a/img903/8876/0ulpbz.jpg

Basically any filter media will work. Used drier sheets, cut up foam, scotch brite pad, anything that will filter air. I folded a couple layers of used drier sheet for my filters. Just cut to fit the opening and make sure it fits semi loosely. Don't pack filter media in there tightly or you wont get any air flow through it.

i think he wants to know how to get the old filter material out carefully?

Really, I was just looking to see what all people have done to refurbish these. There's a not a ton of info on rebuilding these units when you do a search. I appreciate the other filter option ideas ucw458.

I'll have no problem getting the old foam out, it was pretty much just falling out and crumbling when I took it apart ... thus the reason I posted up.

Thanks for the help guys.