Killed My Cat!

So about 4 weeks ago I took job to transport a high end Mercedes to Las Vegas, Mercedes G700 Brabus 6X6. Only a few of these beasts were made and I was told there are only 2 or 3 in California.

Customer insisted on me being there by 3:30 pm on a Friday, from Hollywood to Vegas.

Although I picked up at 7AM that Friday, I didnt get on the freeway til about 8:30AM. Took me forever to load that thing, no metal anything touch it!

Anyway, on the road time really caught up to me. Darn G Wagon was heavy as hell! I struggled to do 35 on uphills. Guy kept calling for ETA and I pushed my truck harder than I should.

I pegged the temp needle past 215. I made it there and back without a problem, at least not a visible one for the time being.

Two days after that Vegas run I went on a "fire call" to pick up a Fast and Furious 8 car and once again pushed the temps past 215. I made it back from that run. But truck was acting funny.

Took it to mechanic judt to be told "Hey Buddy, I think you killed this CAT engine! Way too much BLOW by!"

Yep, fried the piston rings. Too bad "the mad scientist" from FnF can't help me on this one.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk226/80sriceman/Mobile%20Uploads/20151106_123419.jpg

How much is that going to cost?

Well, at this point darn near 12k. I bought all new injectors, high pressure oil pump, cam sensors, oil pressure sensors, gaskets etc. The inframe rebuild itself is about 7 thousand.

Had I know from day 1 that the pistons were fried, I woukd have just put that $ towards another truck. But its too late now. I have to bite the bullet and just get it done to get back to work.

For the mean time a good customer and friend has loaned me their medium duty Peterbilt roll back. Awesome truck!

Its been in the family 2005, its a 2002 model. It barely had 30k when we got it. I've taken good care of it. But its got 355 thousand miles and flogging it on those two long distance runs did it in.

I have always heard people complain about the hight cost of owenership of anything Caterpillar powered. Now that I have to buy major components, I see what they talking about.

What really bugs me is I could have thrown those 12k towards a newer truck and be left with $1000 dollar payments plus insurance.

After driving a Peterbilt, I know what I'm gonna buy next! Gonna make it a point to find a good one, then murder the whole thing!

They look totally bad tail in all low gloss flat black with gloss powder coated wheels and Linex liner on bed.

215 shouldnt have hurt it, the question is, what were the EGT's?

my mitsu diesel has seen 235 a few times already maintaining 1000 egt up mountains (not as bad now after changing some things)

Number 2 injector was bad. Maybe it ran lean then or too much fuel?

Up to this point, this Cat engine has been real good. I have friends that have 500 thousand plus miles on their Cats. The guy that towed me the second time has 900 thousand miles on his. So I was shocked mine went bad.

Sorry to hear about your truck plight but hope it works out for you.

Thanks man. I was really stressed out there for a few days. But God has a way opening doors where one closes.

I'm rolling in a 2013 Peterbilt rollback with a Jerrdan bed. All black, tinted black, black wheels. Its got bed liner finish on the cab. On loan from a good customer and friend, I just have to prioritize his calls 1st. Not a bad trade off!

Its a Toyota Corona, picture car. It was 1 of 5 70's Japanese cars I picked up.

Yeah, I had to ginger the company logo. But you get the idea of what it looks like.

Its a bad tail truck! I want a Peterbilt now! I have driven Freightliners, Hino extra cab, new body GMC's, Fords. But Peterbilt tops them all. The feel of the cab, the look, its just a tough truck with enough refinements.

Number 2 injector was bad. Maybe it ran lean then or too much fuel?

Up to this point, this Cat engine has been real good. I have friends that have 500 thousand plus miles on their Cats. The guy that towed me the second time has 900 thousand miles on his. So I was shocked mine went bad.

was it smoking? lean wont damage anything on diesel, rich will melt stuff

Yeah, it was smoking on start up and at idle while loading cars, it would smoke when I would get on throttle to drive off.

I can't say it was smoking while driving because I never saw it. I imagine when at idle it poored too much fuel into that cylinder and it burned it off while driving. Ir maybe it just poored too much fuel at all times.

Yeah, it was smoking on start up and at idle while loading cars, it would smoke when I would get on throttle to drive off.

I can't say it was smoking while driving because I never saw it. I imagine when at idle it poored too much fuel into that cylinder and it burned it off while driving. Ir maybe it just poored too much fuel at all times.

What color? Black is to much fuel for the air, white is low compression and to much fuel

Generally stuck injectors will smoke white, looks like a blown headgasket.

What color? Black is to much fuel for the air, white is low compression and to much fuel

Generally stuck injectors will smoke white, looks like a blown headgasket.

Yeah, it was white. I really didnt think it was that bad. Guess I was wrong.

I hate the floor mounted clutch pedal they use!

Takes some getting used to. But I like them. It's actually more comfortable then the traditional pedals.

I also like the cab set up. It deceiving, looks small. But its actually pretty roomy .

And yeah, thats what Brabus 6x6 looks like. The one I transported was white. Massive monster, not sure on the exact weight. But I know it was heavy as hell. Enough so that my truck struggled on uphills.

Edited by louswheel

Thanks man. I was really stressed out there for a few days. But God has a way opening doors where one closes.

I'm rolling in a 2013 Peterbilt rollback with a Jerrdan bed. All black, tinted black, black wheels. Its got bed liner finish on the cab. On loan from a good customer and friend, I just have to prioritize his calls 1st. Not a bad trade off!

Bad situations often are followed up by good opportunity...glad to hear things are working in your favor.