Tips for pulling engine

87TSiStock

One of the easiest motors to pull in my opinion. Make sure all you accessories are disconnected as well as the wiring harness. Unbolt the tranny. Hook up your picker and lift straight up to get it off the driver/passenger motor mounts and then pull it forward and up and she should come right out. Just go slow as you would with any engine just in case something is still connected.

Yeah, ditto on the "one of the easiest motor to pull". Just make sure you disconnect wire harness completely. Best if you pull radiator out. Disconnect down pipe from turbo, disconnect everything on the intake side. Pull out complete engine with accessories, no tranny.

I third the comment of easiest engine to pull. I've pulled everything from 4 bangers to v10s and I've always found this engine ridiculously easy to pull. Like said, definitely remove the radiator. Makes it a thousand times easier and you can flush it while out.

Careful on those brass pipes, too, like was also said. If it's an auto, those torque plate bolts will likely be a b!$©# to get out. Be careful not to round them.

If it's a manual, then that'll be cake. You can pull the tranny with the engine if it's a manual. It's not that hard. Or you can separate it by supporting the tranny with a jack, unbolting all the bolts, and using a screwdriver to pry it away. It may also help to keep two of the bolts threaded in just a few threads while you separate them. Keeps the casing from binding on the motor.

Just take it slow and get a helping hand if you can just to watch for any still connected lines or wires.

Mitsubishi did an immaculate job on access and connection types on these cars. If only cars these days were as easy.

- Charles

Putting it back in is just as easy. Just watch the oil pan!!!! If it's a manual, I prefer to take it out as a whole. If it's an auto, I usually disconnect them. Bigger transmission and a lot more connections and lines to worry about with the auto.

If you plan on taking the engine and tranny out as a couple...DON'T forget to take off the shifter from the transmission case and drain the transmission. Otherwise the transmission will get stuck on its way out and you'll pour a few quarts of tranny oil all over the ground where you'll eventually lay later. Dare you to ask me why I mentioned these annoying facts. Lol.

- Charles

Edited by nightwalkerancestery

Any tips or just anything to watch out for when pulling these engines? Any comments can help

Thanks

Disconnect the motor mounts from the frame, not from the engine. Same in reverse, put engine in with mounts attached to the block.

Lift carefully, you always forgot some hose, or line.

You can easily remove it with the trans attached, just remember to drain it of oil, or plug the shifter hole, and output or oil will pour out. Same back in, always easier with the trans attached. An engine leverler helps, but not necessary. Do need a friend to help it guide.

Edited by questsale

can anyone tell me where to connect the chain to hoist the engine out asap? there are 2 brackets that seem right that are on the back of the block by the intake manifold and a bracket by the number 1 spark plug are these correct?

You can bolt it through any top bolts holding the timing cover in place, and the top trans bolt in the rear.

I use a bolt through one of the A/C holes in the bracket and a bolt from the passenger side motor mount. I usually wrap the chain around the mount and secure it with a bolt through two links. That's pretty balanced from what I've done.

I wouldn't recommend a timing cover bolt. I feel that as too much of a risk of galling/cracking the timing cover or bending a TC bolt.

- Charles

Edited by nightwalkerancestery

I used the timing cover bolts with a washer, no issues. Obviously need to make sure the bolts are 8.8 or better.

I think 80mm lenght bolts are good. You might be able to use two of the stock trans bolts to secure the engine to the stand, but need 4 total. Measure the stands standoffs, and add 20mm to the bolt lenght.