Roller Camshaft Discussion - Data Collection

kev

As you should! I mean were talkin cars with zero parts support and even less research! You should feel horrible for trying to get what you want out of your project! How dare you share info on a web forum.

As you should! I mean were talkin cars with zero parts support and even less research! You should feel horrible for trying to get what you want out of your project! How dare you share info on a web forum.

Haha, no not in terms of that. I feel bad because my gut reaction to posting Tim's cam source was 'this is wrong' but I didn't do anything about it. Would have been so easy to just hide the post, shoot a pm to the OP, and request he get in touch with TIm prior to posting that info online. At a bare minimum, it deserved a response to the thread saying just that. Neither of which I did.

Haven't thought too much about cams this week. I'm in a dilemma what to do. I will back out the lift on the galant rocker vs the caravan rocker...just for the sake of it. Still am left in a quandry as to the P/N of a magna roller cam. Can't believe that I'm having such a hard time finding a parts list for the later 4g54 engines with this roller cam.

• 5 years later...

A lot of the follow up information in this thread was lost due to the data server issue but I'll try to summarize my posts.

What I proved is that the MD106245 rocker is indeed the Magna rocker.  I was able to get my hands on an OEM magna valve train and camshaft.   I also had a single brand new OEM MD106245 rocker still in the package.

full

Comparison:

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

Comparing an OEM Magna roller camshaft to a conquest regrind.   You can tell by the photos that the lands on the Magna camshaft are in differrent locations than the stock camshaft...further proving that neither a stock nor a reground stock camshaft will work with the Mitsubishi roller rockers due to the different rocker contact points between the roller rockers and the slip rockers

full

full

full

full

full

I had those bearing surfaces on the OEM Magna ground by a local machine shop and it is currently in my car!

full

full

full

full

I experimented with profiles using the reground stock (MonstaBanshee) with 3.0L roller rockers and Magna cam with using both the OEM Magna roller rockers and the 3.0L roller rockers.   

What this shows is there is no valve overlap using the reground stock camshaft...this is due to the wrong contact points of the cam.  It will run nice and smooth in the car providing you leave it at the OEM 12 o'clock position (don't try to index in the intake centerline to match the cam card, for the exhaust valve will open and close way too early) but it will definitely not be a performance increase...it will be a decrease.

The Magna camshaft showed promise with the 3.0L rockers but the ratio is too high and won't let the intake valve fully close.  But if you were to do a regrind on a Magna camshaft, there is some potential with using the 3.0L rockers!    I didn't go down this alley...yet.  I tossed in the stock Magna cam/rockers and am running it like that for now.  If I can get my hands on another Magna camshaft, I may start experimenting

full

Nice to see some life on this topic! I have the RPM cam that Mach 5 originally purchased. As well as a Schneider 284-RH and Monsta Banshee wrapped up and sitting in the toolbox. If you ever wanted to borrow any to check it out I'd be more than happy to send them over. 

After my (self induced) issue with the RPW cam I have just swapped back to the Ol' trusty Schneider 284-H for now.