Upgrading some things in my life

BC_99

So....as a lot of you know, I work as a fabricator for a professional race team and have worked for the same team for the last 10 1/2 years. Well, I found out early this fall that my team is shutting down. So, I am out of a job. I have done my due diligence and put together my resume (for the first time in 15 years) and have distributed it to most of the other teams. The problem is, there are 200+ people also doing the same thing, and I am in direct competition with all of them for potential jobs. The sport cannot absorb that many people without some new teams opening up, so I have been creating some backup plan scenarios. One of those plans involves powder coating.

I have been powder coating for myself and a few other small jobs for about a year. I have been using a normal house oven that I bought last year off of craigslist. It works, but it is tough to do a lot with, and I can't even fit a wheel in it....so.......it's time for an upgrade.

I found this write up online and am well on my way to having something similar that I can work with.

http://www.powdercoatguide.com/2014/09/how-to-build-powder-coating-oven.html#.VhwjzZT3arX

I'm pretty excited about the progress so far. I started building the frame at in my shop at home and then took the pieces to work and began skinning it.

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt93/BC_99/powder%20coating/20151001_212502_zpsfyn9fr6y.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt93/BC_99/powder%20coating/20151003_143833_zpsokjrh3ef.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt93/BC_99/powder%20coating/20151026_174107_zpsbzl4chxy.jpg

So, that's what I have been up to lately.

BC_99

I read that build for the cabinet. Good stuff right there. I am sorry to hear about your job. My dad works for a telecom sub contractor who is currently doing work for AT&T. They haven't had any new job bids and he is going to have to find a new job. It sucks cause he's extremely good at his job (coding 4G networks, international networks, 911 systems, etc.)

So that job pool is small as well. It seems every 5-10 years he gets laid off from a telecom company and has to go move/work for another.

Hope you can find another job quickly.

Edited by Turbo Cary

Yeah it stinks, but I figure I have 2 options...

1. Dwell on it and get depressed and feel sorry for myself....or

2. Consider it an opportunity to move on to a new adventure.

I choose option 2. God doesn't close one door without opening another.

BC_99

• Like 1

Dude sorry to hear the team is shutting down. I know you will succeed in whatever path you choose.

I'm sure your skills speak for themselves and teams will be fighting over you. The powder coating will keep you busy for now but I'm sure your phone will be ringing off the hook.

Good Luck Bro!!!!

So....as a lot of you know, I work as a fabricator for a professional race team and have worked for the same team for the last 10 1/2 years. Well, I found out early this fall that my team is shutting down. So, I am out of a job. I have done my due diligence and put together my resume (for the first time in 15 years) and have distributed it to most of the other teams. The problem is, there are 200+ people also doing the same thing, and I am in direct competition with all of them for potential jobs. The sport cannot absorb that many people without some new teams opening up, so I have been creating some backup plan scenarios. One of those plans involves powder coating.

I have been powder coating for myself and a few other small jobs for about a year. I have been using a normal house oven that I bought last year off of craigslist. It works, but it is tough to do a lot with, and I can't even fit a wheel in it....so.......it's time for an upgrade.

I found this write up online and am well on my way to having something similar that I can work with.

http://www.powdercoatguide.com/2014/09/how-to-build-powder-coating-oven.html#.VhwjzZT3arX

I'm pretty excited about the progress so far. I started building the frame at in my shop at home and then took the pieces to work and began skinning it.

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt93/BC_99/powder%20coating/20151001_212502_zpsfyn9fr6y.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt93/BC_99/powder%20coating/20151003_143833_zpsokjrh3ef.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt93/BC_99/powder%20coating/20151026_174107_zpsbzl4chxy.jpg

So, that's what I have been up to lately.

BC_99

BC you've been around long enough to know you should havebbeen making plans years ago we look out for

our boss and he'll cut your throut in a heat beat , sad nut true

Wow, real nice shelby. You were sick and I wished you well. Now, I have a problem in life, not of my making, and you show your class. Cool man.

Thanks Phil, there are several folks in the area hydrodipping. I am not looking to make a career of this. Just keep myself busy while I determine the next step in life.

BC_99

Edited by BC_99

you will be fine!

i hope the job you find is close to home for you and your families sake!

the contract i am on is letting people go left and right and the contract is over in March.

i as well might be looking for a new adventure. in a way i hope the contract gets renewed.

i really like my job. been a while since i had a job i was happy working at. if i am let go then

i am moving farther south..

I'm sorry to hear that. Good Luck to you . We hear about NasCar being very successful with ratings and attendance and all, but do not realize the extent of the individual teams predicaments. So you will be powdercoating various StarQuest items/parts coming up? I'm finishing up a project and things are just about ready to go back in.

Stesir, I have been powder coating small stuff for awhile. I am just upgrading my capacity. If you have any needs or specific questions concerning this, pm me.

T.Cary, I would love to get closer to the beach. I would love to find a job scuba diving for a living. But, our families are all here. My wife is doing well in her job, so moving isn't an option.

I have a plan in mind for a career change if I don't have any solid leads in racing by Dec.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Life happens, it's how you face the adversity that determines the kind of person you are.

BC_99

Life happens, it's how you face the adversity that determines the kind of person you are.

Yes sir, and don't be afraid of change. IMHO fear of change leads to loss of IQ and adventure, invest in yourself and be ready for the next great opportunity. Best of luck working out what that may be.

I don't know what the powdercoating business is like down there in NC BC, but up here in PA it's crazy. The guy I take all my stuff too is so busy he can barely fit my stuff for me, usually it takes him weeks. But, I take it to him b/c he's the best in the area. He's just a guy though (like you) that built a pole-barn on his property and bought some huge ovens (he can do motorcycle frames) and went from there. Now, he has a contract with a local small airline doing these little luggage rack things. He had to have he property re-zoned for a business ... but, my point is - it took off for him and he is crazy successful. There's money it too, b/c he's living pretty well from what I can tell.

Yep^^^^ what Kevin said. I have changed jobs 2x in 9 months and finally got my dream job. It will happen man. But remember. God helps them. Who helps themselves. So keep yourself in the eyes of the people who hire and don't stop. Took me 7yrs of hounding my employer now to get in. And as far powder coating. I think I have some rims off the wife's H3 that look like poo. Cheap flash chrome. And have been debating about my 17"s off the quest too. Let us know when your up and running. Yes there is a coater close to me. But have to keep it in the family right.
  • Like 1

Best of luck to you.

As Ive recently had a job change as well i can say that stick with whatever you decide for a little bit. I was regretting my decision for the first few days but glad i stuck to it.

If you have to look into other industries take a look at tile work. As in tiling walls, floors, showers, etc. It may seem odd to suggest but tiling is an art and a science these days. I am assuming you enjoy working with your hands and your work is top notch and im sure your work ethic is similar so it may be something you would enjoy and make a good wage on. Working with some of the waterproofing tile membranes and large format tiles has really changed the way people have started to do work. I was extremely difficult for me to find a person/company who would work with the large tile i purchased for a recent bathroom remodel. I started to do more research into tiling as i was thinking i would have to do the work myself.

Nothing wrong with change. Sometimes change is good. As you said, one door closes and another one opens. Keep positive and be resilient.

When do you anticipate being up and running with the new oven? When can we start sending you parts LOL?

I have 2 valve covers I've been wanting powder coated...

Should fit in a standard oven,,4g63 covers...

How do you go about coating? Sand blast, then coat? Not sure

How I feel about sand in my valve cover...any thoughts? What do you normally do?

One I want white other Fiji(colored)blue.

Price?

EDIT::also I want to mill the lettering on the cover for a fresh milled look.

Should I mill it before coating? And do you have a milling machine?

Bryen

Edited by quikconq

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing wrong with change. Sometimes change is good. As you said, one door closes and another one opens. Keep positive and be resilient.

When do you anticipate being up and running with the new oven? When can we start sending you parts LOL?

Yep, that's the plan. I hope to be ready for a trial run in a week or so.

I have 2 valve covers I've been wanting powder coated...

Should fit in a standard oven,,4g63 covers...

How do you go about coating? Sand blast, then coat? Not sure

How I feel about sand in my valve cover...any thoughts? What do you normally do?

One I want white other Fiji(colored)blue.

Price?

EDIT::also I want to mill the lettering on the cover for a fresh milled look.

Should I mill it before coating? And do you have a milling machine?

Bryen

I've done a couple of g54 valve covers so far. I bead blast everything I powder coat first.

Used cast aluminum engine parts are tricky. They retain oil even after hot tanking. I learned (the hard way) that the first thing after a good scrubbing to do with them, is to just put them in the oven at 500 degrees for about 45 minutes to burn out any residual oil left in the aluminum. Then bead blast and hot tank and then powder coat. The hot tank has an ultrasonic function that takes care of any bead blasting dust or residue.

I need a little more info on the milling the lettering, you referred to. PM me to discuss it, if you still have any interest.

Now for my update.

My termination date got moved back an extra month. So, I will have a job until around Christmas. I have talked with a few other teams, but nothing has happened yet. In the meantime, I have been spending most of my spare time working late to finish my oven. I wasn't sure what to expect when I started it, but I'm very pleased with the end result. I loaded it on the truck and brought it home today. I hope to have it up and running within the next 2 weeks. Here are a few pictures of it laying on the pallet in my shop.

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt93/BC_99/powder%20coating/20151112_160342_zps5my4wcry.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt93/BC_99/powder%20coating/20151112_160418_zpsetijurvd.jpg

It's pretty big.

BC_99

Edited by BC_99