Charging issues

ColdScrip

Car was fine 2 years after a restore. I would notice the volt meter would bounce a lot but not too bad. (Clock light would flicker). Come recently my car stopped dead due to a dead battery. I replaced the alternator with a remanned one from autozone even though it tested okay. The bearings sounded kind of rough though. The battery tested okay as well. I also cleaned the negative battery cable grounds to the body and engine. I took apart the fusible links connector to sand each prong. I sanded as best I could the fusible link connectors themselves. I also cleaned the main black fusible link and the associated other connectors that lead to the positive terminal there.

With these changes I do not see the meter bounce around anywhere near as much a sbefore and the clock light only flickers when the turn signals are on.

At idle while cold the car reads ~13.7v. When driving home today I noticed that the gauge would read ~12v at times particularly while at idle. This is with headlights on. I got nervous a couple of times seeing the needle go below 12 (half) with the turn signals on but I knew that was a common thing.

When I got home I did a load test. Headlights, stereo, and blower motor on high. I took a volt meter to the battery itself and it read 12.07v. Is it really normal to have ~12v with everything electrical on or do I still have a charging problem? Thanks.

Edited by ColdScrip

87 Shetland, battery 12.3V started engine fast idle cold 14.3V , turn headlights/ fog and ac on 12.7 fast idle cold, Now at operating temp Idle with all 3 on 11.86V raise RPm to 2500 and volts increase to 12.3V, turn all off and hot idle voltage is 12.8V

Dad

11.86 seems too low. But it seems that my car also is at 12v-12.5 at idle with all lights on. Rev to 2500 rpm 13.5v. Hmm guess I will not worry about then. It must be the age on the wiring. I also have done the charging harness with heavier gauge wire. It helped.

While at a stop light I revved the car a little to see what would happen with the volts. ~2k rpm. My volt gauge went above 16v. wt..... From then on if the RPMs were above 2k, the gauge would peg to the top and every light in the car including headlights were as bright as I have ever seen them. I had to have headlights on, blower motor on high, and the radio on to help regulate it back down and not damage anything. I need to reproduce the issue tomorrow morning with a volt meter on the battery to verify its 16+v. Then its either the regulator in the alt or the signal wire. I am assuming its the alt as if its the signal wire then why the ~11.8-12v at idle when hot.

Just upgrade to either the Hyundai alt, or the GM alt. Or have a stock SQ alt rebuilt by a mom-n-pop shop. The chain stores use the cheapest vendors they can find to reman their products. I've had several AZ alts fail over the years in record time. They'll only ever get me to buy another if I'm absolutely desparate.

I had very similar issues with flickering lights and basically the same symptoms as you... GM alt fixed it right up.

This is what i got.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/proform-100-new-chrome-alternator-gm-1973-86-internal-regulator-66445n/22740125-P?searchTerm=chrome+alternator

one wire,,,, easy