Greetings from Missouri!!

Stealth R/T

Hi, my name is zach. I'm 18 years old and have just acquired a 1988 Chrysler conquest. I owned a 1992 dodge stealth r/t before this car and before that I had a pickup truck. I've been told many different things about these cars such as they are pieces of junk or that they are built like a tank. Going through a stack of paperwork, I've found out that the car has had the head gasket replace 3 times, the head is new, valves have been grinded, block repaired, timing chain replaced 4 times, crankshaft bearings replaced in 2001, new intake manifold, new exhaust manifold, new injectors (twice). Clutch replaced in 2000, brakes replaced, and I believe the balance shafts eliminated. I'm starting to wonder if I got myself into a heap of trouble with this car as I've had it a week and already its in the shop. (Minor issues thank god). Any input about what I should do with the car, keep it and rebuild it, or sell it and buy something else; will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again, and I hope to learn a lot about these cars

Well, first, you're a Starquestclub forum, so everyone here is gonna tell you to keep it. You need to know a few things about yourself though ... is this a toy, or a DD that you need to be reliable over the next 5 years while you head off the college and all that? Are you mechanically inclined - specifically relating to cars? I'd suggest reading up in the FAQ new owners post here: http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=66449

They're not the easiest car to own, just b/c parts can sometimes be hard to get, but, they are very rewarding and if you maintain it properly quite reliable.

I am fairly mechanically inclined, not to the point of where I could pull a motor, but i can do most of the more common things like rebuilding injection systems and timing, water pumps, brakes and what not. Yes, I am looking for a reliable daily driver and the reason being is a friend of mine had one for close to a year with no problems and then it blew a head gasket and such. So I figured they weren't bad cars. After doing a lot of research and have come to the conclusion that they have major design flaws such as jet valves and balance shafts and such. I feel like come winter it should run good, being it won't overheat.

If the car over heats there will be head gasket, cylinder head damage and exhaust manifold damage. Keep the cooling system perfect. Replace the radiator thermistors, check both fans, rod the radiator, and replace the water pump and cooling hoses. One time I overheated my car and all the above occurred. Before that the car drive 130,000 miles.

Welcome, I'm originally from Waterloo. If you need anything just let me know.

These cars are generally reliable, but you have to pay attention to them. The overheating issue is often caused by little things like leaves getting trapped between the radiator and condenser over time.

Alright, i'm from o'fallon mo, near st peters and st charles. I'm actually in need of a couple new parts and actually have a question also. the secondary intake pipe that comes out of the first cat has actually rusted off and separates from the car when running because of the exhaust pressure. whether or not this is causing the car to idle bad because of bad back pressure i don't know, but my question is where can i find another one of these pipes or can it be re-manned or can i just plug the hole? To answer the above question, the car does not overheat, the temperature will actually drop when on the highway and stay fairly constant when on rural roads and in traffic. i plan to flush the system this winter and replace the thermostat, along with castrol gtx 10w-40 oil and a napa gold filter. I just had the pwr steering pump replaced and the alternator tensioner replaced. I removed the a/c compressor and if anybody is in need of one with all of the hosing, id be willing to trade for other parts my car is missing. I also plan to flush the intercooler and the turbo lines, along with a new air filter and new oil cooler lines (they leak) Im also more than likely going to flush the tranny and rear diff and replace the fluid, and the brakes are all about to be replaced. im in the debating process of whether or not im going to have the car rebuilt (3-5k for a motor rebuild and such) or if i want to start making payments on a newer (but not as cool) car. Any input on my car would be greatly appreciated as im new to the conquest world, anybody with a question about a dodge stealth though ask away lol. Thanks, zach

Ok, so that pipe won't cause the car to run funky if it's plugged? I'm guessing it's just for emissions then. Also, you have a good point why fix what isn't broken. I do plan to at least do a exhaust dump from the turbo if it doesn't require any additional tuning, plus I need to find out why it's running lean as the original owner said that's why it kept blowing head gaskets and eventually cracked the block. One more thing, one day I was driving it and it was running fine then out of the blue starting run rough,I gave it some gas and it didn't do it anymore. Any info on that??

Here is a list of parts I'm looking for. 1. Front skid plate. 2. Trunk panels (the whole trunk has been torn apart and all the computers and such are everywhere). 3. Radio harness (some jacka#%* tore the radio out and cut all the wires, I want to put new speakers and a head unit in). 4. Oil cooler lines (mine are leaking). If I think of any more ill post them.

Here's a list of parts I have: 4 or 6 injectors both the primary and secondary. I don't know if they are still good, but the maintenance papers never listed them as replaced so I assume they are newish. I don't know if they are worth anything or are rebuild able. 2. I have an original a/c condenser and all of the hoses plus cooler etc.. I took them off because I don't require a/c. Again, have no idea if worth anything to anybody. 3. Rear wiper motor, and a window motor. (don't knowi if they if they are good, they were with car). If anybodies interested I'll list my cell number. Also, if anybody knows what parts I should start looking for and picking up, please tell me. Thank you, zach

Plugging/removing the secondary air system won't cause any running problems... BUT it is there to help the cats survive. Rumor has it that most of us remove/gut the cats so it's not a problem.

I have a lot of parts, but not whats on your shopping list unfortunately.

There are companies that specialize in cleaning/testing injectors so you can make sure you've got a good set.

• 2 weeks later...

http://i1314.photobucket.com/albums/t563/originalmoxiecat/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150415_190431_286_zpszln4mzp6.jpg

Here's a pic of what I used to plug the exhaust/secondary air. By luck my buddy had the plug. I was going to weld up the original with a large nut. Have no idea where he got that.

and yea the engine bay will seem hot. Turbo is hot... hot... hot..

After careful consideration I've decided that if my original engine does eventually give out, I will be doing a cammed v8 swap. I don't have the money nor the skills to rebuild a g54b motor, and I really don't want the finicky orig motor. I'll more than likely do a Chevy 350, 5.3, or a dodge 340,360,or 383 with an automatic transmission. I have to have a reliable, easy to work on motor in my car as it is my daily. I won't do anything to the original motor until it goes out so we'lol see what she can do. Thank you for all of your input and if anybody has any ideas as to a more and tranny plus a rear end don't hesatate to tell me. Thank you, zach