Purpose of screw on my fuel pressure gauge?

Trying to install my mechanical fuel pressure gauge today, and its a summit 1" fuel pressure gauge...water filled..

It has a small screw inside where the 1/8NPT threads are...

When backed out, this is as far as it will go....but it will thread into the gauge about 1/4'...

Am I supposed to screw this in so the fuel has a way to get to the gauge? Ive never used a mechanical gauge before...I may be dumb but Im checking before I install this thing...

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd461/Preludedude1/photo.jpg

Cant find anything...guess ill install it and see if needle moves with that screw in place...i just dont see how fuel pushing on that screw will make needle move...the screw is threaded, so i dunno...we will see...

What is stock fuel pressure supposed to be?

And what should I turn it up to?

I have 650/950, big 16G, 52mm TB, forged wiseco's, etc.....

Edited by Preludedude

Possibly. I can't find instructions or installation directions anywhere.......why it screws up and down I don't know. But fuel can get by is all I know. Maybe it's for high and low pressure applications. The depth of screw needs to be changed with the application I guess

Installed today....I set the fuel pressure to 38psi at idle...All is well so far with the Spa Turbo AFPR and Summit gauge....I left the screw flush and not screwed down inside the threads, but its good and fuel can get by the screw because of the tiny slits in the threads...

Hope this helps someone in the future....

• 3 weeks later...
Does the screw set the base pressure? That's how it works with my MSD 2222. There's a nipple on it for the rising rate 1:1 signal which might also be an option for yours?? A screw or bolt will disable the rising rate however.

Calibration maybe. Filled no. There's a black plug on gauge where it was prolly filled. The screw comes out if turned hard enough. I left it flush like it is in picture. It works great now. I set it to 44 Edited by Preludedude

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...
On 11/14/2015 at 5:31 PM, scott87star said:

Really, no one read this?

It's a safety device to keep your butt from getting showered in fuel if something really bad happens to the internal pressure sensing tube.

Smart! I had a fuel pressure sending unit die on me a few years back and it was spraying the engine bay. I was at an autocross and heard it ping when boost came on. Looked at a log and was WAY lean. Sure I smelled gas in the paddock, but with all the cars around I wasn't thinking it was me. Close call for sure