Aside From Looking Or Sounding "Cool," What Good Is A Blow Off Valve?

Starfighterpilot

Like the Post title says, what good is a blow off valve - unless you are running a non OEM Starquest with an over sized turbo on highly modified G54B T engine to support it, what good are they?

It has always seemed to me that when running a factory stock 12A or 14B turbo & FI setup they are more trouble than they are worth.

BTW - I like the turbo turkey gobble and it has not degraded any of the 3 turbos that I've had on the Old Broad. They failed cuz of worn out oil seals.

Feel free to chime in.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

Heya Ken. That is not bad question and I think you already know your going to get a wide spectrum of answers on this but here is my personal take on the subject.

Firstly I will say I'm no expert so anything I say take with a grain of salt because compared to others here I'm rather low on the "knowledge totem pole". From everything I've read and seen a blow off valve has a few benefits over not running one. The first one most people will talk about is stopping compressor surge. That I think is what your talking about when you say your turbo "gobbles". Basically when you let off the gas exhaust isn't continuing to exert as much pressure on your turbos hotside. While that happens there is still pressure built up in your intercooler piping and isn't entering the motor because the throttle body is closed. This can in some cases cause the compressor wheel to get resistance or even possibly spin backwards which isn't good for the turbo.

A blow off valve releases that pressure and stops that pressure exerting force back on the compressor wheel. The downside to running a bov on a stock starion however is that because it is a pull through setup you are releasing metered air out of the intake track. This causes a rich condition when you let off the gas. Some guys just ignore it and accept it. The ones that do try and do something about it recirculate that released metered air back into the intake track before the turbo.

At the end of the day though Ken you've had your car longer than most of us and since you've not had a bov this whole time I can't see how anyone could argue that you NEED one. Its nice and all but required? I don't think so.

Edited by speedyquest

If you are running low boost, you probably won't bend a compressor blade.

But a blow off valve, or diverter valve, allows the air that has already been compressed to escape when the throttle is snapped shut so that the turbo doesn't stall or attempt to spin backwards for that brief millisecond.

Saving your turbo and increasing turbo response when you shift in a manual. Auto guys put them on because they sound cool. :)

jk about the auto thing, on an auto it can save the turbo as well after a full pass, so it has less chance to break the turbo.

Let me say this, In my drag racing days when the Old Broad was a baby circa 88 - 92 when I got involved in "competive exhibitions of speed" (cop term for street racing back then); or when drag racing my Charger on the street,1960's to late '80's, I never let off of the throttle while "tapping" the clutch during shifting between gears. Never broke anything doing that except for going through a number of clutches.

For What It's Worth

KEN

^^^ dude ^^^

eliminates compressor stall. basically keeps the turbo spinning.

that turkey gobble is compressor stall. Like some of the other guys said at higher boost one is needed.

Mitsubishi didnt put one on these cars cause they figured they didnt need it.

BTW - I like the turbo turkey gobble and it has not degraded any of the 3 turbos that I've had on the Old Broad. They failed cuz of worn out oil seals.

KEN

The shock motion on the seals cannot be good on them. Having a compressor bypass take shock off the whole turbo assembly , not just the wheel. Shutting the throttle with pressure in the piping means anything that can give will. So the thrust load on the compressor wheel is also going to increase.

The shock motion on the seals cannot be good on them. Having a compressor bypass take shock off the whole turbo assembly , not just the wheel. Shutting the throttle with pressure in the piping means anything that can give will. So the thrust load on the compressor wheel is also going to increase.

For manual trannys only - I give credence to what you are saying above if you completely, or partially, take you foot off of the accelerator pedal when tapping the clutch and shifting to the next higher gear. However, I never took my foot off of the "floored" position on the accelerater pedal and "dumped" the clutch in 88 - 92 when she was a baby. WHY? Cuz of what you are talking about and I didn't want any potential turbo lag getting it back up to RPM (boost).

Ya just got to know how to shift W/O loosing the engine RPM, HP & torque that you have already generated in the gear that you have shifted from.

BTW - I didn't have the Old Broad's factory OEM 12A turbo rebuilt because of a weeping oil seal until, according to my maintance records, 176,566 miles. That was when I would ocassionally turn up the boost to 12 PSIG when my ex-wife and I would go out on the streets "stalking." :ph34r: I think the oil seal was just plain worn out cuz of the mileage on it.

I appreciate your input and everyone else that's responded tho.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

For manual trannys only - I give credence to what you are saying above if you completely,

KEN

For any transmission. You cannot tell me you are going to drive in such a manner that your foot action will do the work of a blow off valve.

Perhaps sometimes. But skilled driving is not about keeping the throttle pegged and quick shifting and dumping the clutch just to prevent compressor stall. You say you are keeping it floored and banging gears? Ok that's fine. But you also said you where getting turkey gobble, so having a blow off valve would have prolonged turbo life.

Really over engineering this whole thing.

It's just a simple compressor bypass valve. It sees manifold and charge line pressure and manages it. Saves stress on the turbo manual or automatic.

Sometimes you are going to loose traction when you drive like you mentioned flooring it and dumping the clutch. Better of with a proper valve on there.

Edited by JohnnyWadd