Just bought an 88 Conquest, and fixing it up.

edible_

I just bought a 1988 Conquest and it is leaking transmission fluid and the guy said that the clutch needed adjusting due to it being an aftermarket clutch. I paid $3200 for the car. He also said the exhaust was an HKS, but it's all rusted. How could I tell if it was really an HKS? Also i guess I'm just asking how this whole forum thing works because I'm completely new to all of this, and if my money was well spent?

Thanks for your time!

post some pics and we can try and help.

these cars run ATF transmission fluid in the power steering.

might have a leaky power steering pump and or power steering gear box as well.

get a service manual or go to

www.starquestgarage.com

and look up the service manual for an 88 i believe it is the only one that works on that site.

There may be members here that may in your area that can check your car out and tell you if $3200 was worth it, probably not if you need clutch/tranny work. Kinda late to ask now. Just depends on a lot of other factors. Could have been a member's car for all we know. You can use the search button on here to see pictures of the HKS cat-back systems that were made. Natallica on here had some for sale a while ago. PICS speak a thousand words, though. Outside, inside, underneath and engine bay.

post some pics and we can try and help.

these cars run ATF transmission fluid in the power steering.

might have a leaky power steering pump and or power steering gear box as well.

get a service manual or go to

www.starquestgarage.com

and look up the service manual for an 88 i believe it is the only one that works on that site.

Took some pics today

thanks! everything works except the rear windshield wiper, I was thinking about trying to restore the muffler and get someone to weld me a turbo back exhaust and headers, I'll probably go with a three inch because that is what I'm reading is the best. I was also thinking about putting an adjustable waste gate on it along with a BOV. Also I have been seeing a lot about the MPI Magna manifolds and wondering how much one of those would run and where I could find one for sale at? any thoughts about any of that?

Thank you for your time!

sell it to me!

no just kidding love the interrior !

Header!!! support our local vendors

they have many many options for their headers even a stock turbo flange! T3, T4, Vband......

https://jdlautodesign.net/

divided header

https://jdlautodesig...uest-top-mount/

StarQuest-Top-Mount-Div_1.jpg

regular header

https://jdlautodesig...mount-manifold/

this one has the wastegate on it

StarQuest-T3-44.jpg

It's not just as easy as swapping out the intake. Going mpi is a big task. You will need the manifold. Then you will also need: to have the magna modified for the SQ platform, throttle body, better fuel pump, bigger injectors, new I/C and plumbing, stand alone ECU with harness and sensors etc, wideband O2 setup, laptop for tuning, etc.... It will cost a few thousand dollars to piece it all together and get it running.

Get your car running tip top in stock trim before you get crazy with the aftermarket bits.

Nice interior though. Very rare and desirable.

BC_99

Edited by BC_99

Looking at the engine house picture, were & how do the oil vapors coming off of the valve cover vent line get seperated and drained back to the crank case and the oil vaporless air get sucked into the turbo inlet?

Nice Starquest! :)

For What It's Worth.

KEN

That does appear to be an HKS exhaust...had one on an old 86 I used to have...had a nice sound to it without being "boomy". They were just mild steel, so not surprised to see rust if you see snow/lots of rain. The tip was single tip with a portion polished.
  • Like 1

yeah it sounds great, it's just the guy that sold it to me put it on upside down for some reason and didn't do too good of a job welding the cracks in the exhaust. btw I'm pretty sure it is the power steering because it feels weird when you turn the wheel and makes an odd noise.