Replace MSD 6AL vs. Mallory box vs. Coil Pack ??

mstieg

Went to start & my MSD crapped out. No spark. Several sources claim they are unreliable. I hate unreliable & don't want to buy one plus a spare to not get stuck somewhere later on as others have actually done :huh: :unsure:

I'm looking for input on using coil packs or more so SDS's coil packs? I can upgrade to their driver box & coils but would also need a diff. Hall sensor and 2nd magnet to pulley wheel, adding up to more $$$. Still less than 2 MSD 6 ALs.

Otherwise is a Mallory box a better solution to plug in and go? Are they reliable?

Edited by mstieg

Im using a crane hi-6dsr. No issues for the past 2 years. Its got a built in 2 stage limiter so it makes it pretty cool. They are more expensive than the msd units that i too have had burn out on me several times.

Decided to go with SDS's distributorless setup and use their coil packs instead of an MSD or other spark box. Simplest and more reliable having spoken to several sources I trust.

This thread still may help with more input for those going with an MSD6AL or other.

$480 Em-5 ecu board with free datalogging. (we'll see if they swap or just give me a new unit, which would make more sense for reliability & simplicity)

$325, 4F coil pack

$100, F hall sensor (needs dual magnet pickup vs. single mag E Hall)

$6 1 magnet

$62 Fedex 2day ship. (air from Canada)

Adds up quick. Like I said, better to get it all upfront with the 5F than buying & upgrading. Got mine years ago though. We'll see how much the updates help.