in desperate need of some guidance

VIFlatty

hello to everyone. I have an 85 and it wont start everything is stock . I have read threads over the past few weeks. i try downloading the fsm but it never loads and i have been using info throughout the forum to help troubleshoot. tach moves when i crank but there is no voltage at the coil. the knockbox shows 12volts at the connector. checked fusible links and cleaned them I am also getting 12v there.tested for continuity between battery neg and coil. I really appreciate the amount of info on this forum .i am looking for troubleshooting help whether it be a snapshot of the no start troubleshooting section in the fsm or a list of things to look for since i am getting 0v at the coil. thanks in advance!

thanks techboy i have a spare coil becuase originally i thought that was the problem but then i realized no voltage at coil.im guessing if there is a short in the wire i should just run a new one? can i test this by running a wire from the + side of the battery to the + side of the coil? i appreciate the help.

Got a day off so im working on the car. i got 12 v at coil when i ground my multimeter to body. grounding on the neg - terminal of the coil reads 0v. Shouldnt i also get 12v across the terminals of the coil?

No, the ignition box grounds the coil to create a spark at the correct intervals. Edited by StarquestRescue

The tack needle jumping when you crank the engine is an indication you are getting spark. Look for problems on the fuel side of things.

http://www.ebay.com/...a42041b&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/...1ab1e80&vxp=mtr

Does this car have a intercooler and 5 lug wheels?

Edited by StarquestRescue

• 2 weeks later...
hey guys thanks for the help! got the car to run by spraying starting fluid . it ran for over ten minutes then died.after it died i lost spark.no tach while cranking. tried starter fluid again and it started right up. again ran for awhile then died no spark. I checked the pick up coil terminals and they are out of spec 1188 ohms. I think this means its the pickup coil? problem is i cant find a place to order one from. starquestrescue this is a non intercooled flatty manufactured 10/84

I have 2 of these black boxes on fenderwell next to the coil...(knock box)

It does sound like it is... the cause of loss spark.

Lots of guys have had the same symptoms.

lmk if you need one, pay my one way to Florida and ill install it and help you with whatever else you need....jk..you would have to pay for my wife to come too....lol

My G-grandma lived in kissimmee....I love that area of FL....pretty close to Clearwater right?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...