Free Training: Learn To Tune

speedyquest

I really wish I knew how to adjust ignition and be able to "listen" for knock using MS2 on my white shp. I seem to have had more trouble with timing than with fuel.

If it's anything like what I did on my Focus, you isolate the wires going to the knock sensor and tap into them with a scotch lok connector. On the other end you put a headphone jack then you can plug it into your radio and listen to what the knock sensor hears over the radio. Detonation is a very distinct sound and if you look it up on youtube plenty of people have done this. I got the idea from Jon K at HKS, he uses noise cancelling headphones with the same approach. This gives you the ability to listen for normally inaudible knock and tune it out--sometimes knock sensors aren't super accurate (the Focus one wasn't) and pull timing when they shouldn't.

• 1 month later...

Mike,

What wires do you tap into for the knock sensor coming off the ECU? I'd like to do this to mine sometime soon as we're getting into higher HP and boost territory.

This video isn't apart of those lessons but it is very informative so feel free to watch it. It talks about heat and how it affects every aspect of your car and talks about how people try and deal with it. Watching this video really kind of had me feeling like I'm on the right track with my car.

I want to thank you for posting this link,, it tells more then most will understand , tons of very useful info there

and explains why for years I tried to get guys to go to 3/8" fuel line over the 7.5 mm we have now , I know it is called 8mm but metric is not an exact

size when compaired to say 5/16" , every fitting fuel travels thru needs to be as large as possible right up to the pressure reg