Project Fallen Star

Scary_TSi

Non-picture update:

Got the crank pulley off. Thanks, AutoZone, for selling crappy pullers that make my day longer. Should've known better.

Oil pump, timing chain, oil pan, front and rear main seals are off. Got the rocker arms and pushrods all lined up and arranged on the bench.

Heads are STUCK on there. Plenty of oil and crap still on the block, so a little penetrant and time should get them off easier. Once those come off, I can get the block nice and cleaned and start planning the rebuild in earnest.

Speaking of cleaning, I need to go through all parts before it gets super cold and get everything up to factory cleanliness specs.

Slow day. The pulley fiasco really killed my momentum. Here's a pitch to buying quality tools, even if you don't use then very often.

Did you remove both the exhaust and intake already? If you did I can see why you might have an issue, but if you use either the manifolds as leverage you should have no problem getting the head off if you hit it with a rubber mallet and then pull up on the head. Also in reference to pulling the dash there isn't really any reason to remove the windshield to get the dash out safely. I don't see any situation where you could damage the windshield attempting to remove it unless your doing something very weird or incorrect. Take your time, look at the FSM, and mark all your connectors like others have suggested and you should have the dash out in a few hours.

I've found the easiest thing to do after you get all the botls and screws out is to sit right about where the arm rest would be (you should have the removed) and pull straight back and up a little bit. The dash sits on two studs on either side of the heater core and it needs come up and off them. It's not that hard. Like Speedy said, the FSM shows with arrows where just about every screw and bolt is.