EGR Port in Head

What is the general opinion on what to do with the erg port in the head when going mpi? Are most people just using the normal intake manifold gasket and blocking the hole by the intake flange?

I thought I remember a post from years back showing the hole in the head tapped and a threaded plug installed. I'm assuming this was on the intake side of the head.

Regards,

Kevin

My magna manifold doesn't have egr provisions. The flange simply covers the hole on the head. I'm just concerned about the exhaust killing the intake gasket over time.

Plugging the passageway may be the right way to go but it comes out of the head in an angle making tapping the hole more difficult. I have fears that I'm going to screw up the head. I guess I should have thought, or remembered, about this before having the head ported, etc.

One of the old PQ posts shows him driving a small Dorman plug into the port on the intake side of the head.

This.

He put two 1/2 freeze plugs with high temp silicone behind it and also showed it getting drilled and tapped.

Edited by BuGG

Thanks guys! I found the old PQ post...pics are gone but it is self explanatory. It addressed my concern. I think I will counterbore it at 1/2" like he said and then drill 7/16" for a 1/4" NPT plug.

Phil,

How the heck did you access that hole on the exhaust side?

Regards,

kev

• 4 weeks later...

Closing the loop on this thread. Here is what I did:

Couldn't locate a 1/2" NPT plug efficiently, so I used a 1/2-20 threaded plug. I drilled the port with the proper size tap thread for 1/2-20UNF following the port angle. Cleaned everything really good. Then I used high temp RTV and installed the plug...with a little 'umph' once it reached the last tapped thread to help hold it in there. I threaded it a little farther than I should have. I wanted the plug a little closer to the intake flange but oh well.

http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/data/4394/medium/DSC026511.JPG

http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/data/4394/medium/DSC02649.JPG

kev