How much hp can automatic trans handle?

turbofan

Since I was the owner of that car before Allen, I would say that you have a good base to work with. It will have faster shifts and less heat with the vb mod. I would suggest putting a larger transmission cooler on there before doing much modding for horsepower. Also, don't boost in overdrive, because that is the weakest gear and will burn out. As for horsepower, I know there isn't a magical number, but I would imagine you could do mid to maybe upper 200's without an issue with the above advice considered.

The aussies had the l4n71 figured out well enough that 500 wasn't a problem. Unfortunately that know-how is hard to come by.

All of the packs can have extra plates/frictions added. Like other autos, the fluid pressure can be turned up with some tweaking (but I don't think anybody in the US has real data on this). The last piece is oversizing the apply pistons for the bands, which again I don't know of anybody doing but find it hard to believe the aussies weren't.

In some ways the convertor is more of a limit because we can't call up Summit and get whatever stall and ratio we need. There is a shop here in town that can modify convertors, but I haven't talked with them yet. I'd love to hear from anyone who knows more about our convertors internals and mods!

Edited by MikeMeyerhoff

• 5 weeks later...