Convertible Starquest?

Keoni1113

Just wondering if anyone has turned their Starquests into a convertible? Would that just wreck the structural integrity or is that too much a faux pas?

There was a company that made the old 80's 300zx into a convertible. If someone did try that with a quest I would recommend installing a roll cage and reinforcing the body in the rear quarter panels and front A pillars.

If done incorrectly and no reinforcement to the A pillar a bad enough accident could lead to decapitation.

You would also gain a lot of weight depending on how it is setup. Would it be manual or powered? If it is powered you could use a Pontiac G6 convertible pump to power the hydraulics. Only issue there are that the pumps are prone to fail but on the bright side are usually available through most GM dealers.

Now a Targa top like a Supra would be a much better option to do. With a little cutting and welding it could easily be possible.

I think t - tops would look better.

Someone Photoshop'd a convertible once and the starion looked very weird I thought.

I was, at one time...... gonna weld up a dodge daytona t-top roof on my starion years ago.....but the car got scrapped instead....

Edited by freebird

It will fold like a taco shell. The car is unibody. Without converting it to a full framed chassis somehow, it would fold up the first time it hit a bump.

BC_99

Yep, it's been attempted in the past and it didn't work out.

Back when Pagemo was working on the gullwing car, substantial reinforcement was required in the floors and roof. I bet he has pictures still here somewhere of all the welded channel that it took to adequately stiffen the chassis, but you could see the deflection in the roof skin after cutting the gullwing hinge pocket areas on a totally stripped chassis. Edited by jonboyb

Mark did it. I saw the car. Just by cutting the roof off the chassis sagged so much the doors didn't close right. The whole car flexed in the middle like a spring. The car got stripped and scrapped.

http://i1321.photobucket.com/albums/u546/cjhippie/1010972_698689503491978_1425997491_n_zpszsteawfv.jpg

Probably one of the worst photoshops I have ever seen of a starquest.

Its been done before in Torrance Ca. Thats all I've got to say about that.

I don't doubt it, but not without the things I mentioned before.

Mark did it. I saw the car. Just by cutting the roof off the chassis sagged so much the doors didn't close right. The whole car flexed in the middle like a spring. The car got stripped and scrapped.

Exactly. I have cut the roofs off of 2 cars I have parted that were already completely stripped and gutted. Sitting firmly on my lift, I cut the roof loose from the A posts and a gap of around 2 inches immediately opened in the cuts I just made. Just from the weight of the front and rear clips hanging, with nothing holding them together but the rockers and floor.

Without the roof, these cars have little support in the center to carry their weight. It would take very significant reinforcements to the underbody....like full frame rails or heavy boxing and plating to stiffen the bottom enough to hold it all without it flexing. It could probably also be done with a proper roll cage, but who wants a convertible with roll bars sticking up everywhere?

BC_99